Mounts and Rings

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Mounts and Rings

Postby trob_205 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:32 am

I work and Schupbach’s in Jackson,MI part time. We have sold truck loads of them packaged with the Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 450 Turret with the factory ruger base and Leupold rifleman medium rings with great success. Havnt had a single issue with those rings ever including on slug guns and muzzle loaders in previous years.
trob_205

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:29 am

Aaaaaah guys. Let’s not mock people. We don’t do that here. Period.
Snarky comments and posts will be removed. So do me a personal favor
And remove your negative comments and save me the pain of doing it.
This IS NOT ARFCOM. And I’ll be damned before I let this type of sarcastic
commentary stand.
So edit your comments to something more palatable or delete them.
Thanks.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:49 am

CJP1 wrote:I recently purchased a RAR with the Ruger picatinny rail. I mounted a Swift Premier 4-12X40 in Burris medium Signature Zee Rings. I shot it twelve times including one time taking a nice buck. In the mean time, I read the it was a scope killer, so I purchased a Leupold VX-2 3-9X40 scope and Burris XTR Signature 1" high rings. I'm taking it to the range this weekend to sight it in. If you are planning on shooting long distances, the Burris XTR Signature rings have offset inserts to cant the scope down in the front and up in the rear so a flat picatinny rail is all you need. Another plus with these rings is that the inserts grip better than steel rings, so you won't have to worry about the scope moving under recoil. The inserts can also be used to correct any misalignment between the bore and the scope base. These rings are big and beefy looking as well as pricey but you won't be disappointed with them.

Welcome to the forum.
I don’t really know if the 450 B is a scope killer. At first, I expected it to be pretty harsh, but as time passed, I honestly think my Marlin 336 30-30 kicks harder than any of the three 450Bs I own. And the Marlin has killed at least three scopes. All Bushnell. I will NEVER buy another bushnell scope. I’ve put Simmons on most of my rifles. The 450s however I’ve gone a different direction. For bullet testing with the AR 15, I’m using the Nikko Stirling. For hunting, I’m using the Pulsar XP38.
For the Ruger American, I’m using a Nikon Buckmasters and for my New Englander single shot I’m using a Simmons.
I really like Nikon and Simmons for conventional glass. Redfield and Burris would probably be other choices for glass.
But for hunting with the AR this season, I’ve gone with the Pulsar XP38.
I also have two 6.5 Grendel ARs and one of them has the ATN XSightII 5-20 and the other has a high end Simmons.
My 6.5 Creedmoor has the Nikon Black 1000 sfp.
So far, they all have held up very well.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:13 pm

ENCORE wrote:Have a friend that purchased the .450 RA and is wondering what scope mount and rings everyone's using.
He'll be putting a Leupold 3-9x40mm scope on the rifle.

I'm using the Leupold VX-R 3x9 40 mm with the ballistic fire dot reticle. Have not had any problems with it. 9x is enough power for the BM ranges - about 300 yds is the farthest I would shoot.

I use one of the offset mounts to give me a little more eye relief - either the Burris PEPR or the Nikon P or M series. The scope should not extend beyond the charging handle. Ask me how I know.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1548141657/burris-ar-pepr-1-piece-extended-scope-mount-picatinny-style-with-integral-rings-flattop-ar-15-matte

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=nikon+scope+rings&userItemsPerPage=48
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Thom28 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:28 pm

"I use one of the offset mounts to give me a little more eye relief - either the Burris PEPR or the Nikon P or M series. The scope should not extend beyond the charging handle. Ask me how I know."

Wouldn't be you ended up with a "Raccoon Mask" would it? LOL I been there done that with a 45/70. Thought someone hit me in the head with a baseball bat.

Thom
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby Hoot » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:07 pm

Thom28 wrote:
Wouldn't be you ended up with a "Raccoon Mask" would it? LOL I been there done that with a 45/70. Thought someone hit me in the head with a baseball bat.

Thom

My right eye lost its virginity to a 7mm Mag Rem 700 featherweight back in 1980. I'll never help someone sight in a scope on an unknown rifle again! :|

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:38 am

i got kissed by my 30-06 back in my early teens... just enough to let me know i'd screwed up, but not enough to give me a shiner or a scar to remember the event by.

my uncle though - whole different expierence lol

he came up hunting with us and wanted to sit on the big field - well at the time all he had was a 35 remington. and that field offers shots upwards of 200 yds.... so dad being nice, wants to make sure he can take whatever walks out in front of him, says "here take my 30-06, i'll take my shotgun today, i wanna go hunt in the river bottom anyway"

so uncle Joe goes out to the hayfield, deer everywhere in front of him that afternoon/evening. he waits patiently to line up a twofer, squeezes off the round and *wham*

broke his nose, two black eyes, bleedin all over the place from the cut at the top of the bridge of his nose. :shock: :shock:

we head on over and he's apologizing to my dad for getting blood on the gun :lol: :lol: :lol:

he did get both deer though - high double lung/spinal on the first, right thru the 10ring on the 2nd - two tags filled with one shot! and he's never shot that gun again since :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
plant_one

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:01 pm

Thom28 wrote:"I use one of the offset mounts to give me a little more eye relief - either the Burris PEPR or the Nikon P or M series. The scope should not extend beyond the charging handle. Ask me how I know."

Thom

Where it happened, they call it "Magnum Eye." Doesn't need to be a magnum, though.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Previous

Return to Bolt Action Rifles