Issue chambering in my RAR

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Issue chambering in my RAR

Postby mwalters » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:38 am

Has anyone had any issues chambering factory ammo? On my rifle, I have to really slam the bolt handle down hard to get the bolt into battery. I'm using the factory Hornandy 250g ammo.
mwalters

Re: Issue chambering in my RAR

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:59 am

Don't own a RAR but that symptom sounds like a short chamber or an out of spec cartridge.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby plant_one » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:20 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Don't own a RAR but that symptom sounds like a short chamber or an out of spec cartridge.

it could be both.

there were some issues with the 300 blk RARR's for a while - after some investigation it turns out the chambers were a bit long on the headspace spec and some of the ammo was on the small side of the headspace spec for the caliber.

when the tolerances were stacked against each other like that = problems.

since its factory ammo its probably good, but cant hurt to check it against SAAMI specs. calipers should be more than sufficent grade of accuracy for the measurements you need.
http://members.saami.org/ManualsStds/CC ... master.pdf
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:05 pm

Not sure how many rounds you have through your RAR, but it never hurts to make sure not only that the chamber is clean, but that there is no carbon ring buildup. Usually under those circumstances, every round is hard to chamber. When a rifle is new and the chamber throat is not polished from use, carbon has an easier time finding a purchase and building up. try cyciing some more rounds through battery and measure a few of them both before and after chambering to see if they're getting pushed back a little by a ring. This is where a borescope is invaluable. Love my Lyman!
If the rifle has been that way from the get-go, could be out of tolerance or could use a polishing with some JB compound.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:39 am

for those of us who cant afford the lyman bore scope - you can get a USB endoscope on amazon that plugs into your smartphone, tablet, or pc (with an adapter) for about $15

http://a.co/bUGh9Z7

i have a 5.5mm one like this and it will not fit down a 223 bore.... its a couple thou too big to get inside the lands. but it works on everything above .224 and still makes a great chamber inspection tool for the smaller bore stuff
plant_one

Return to Bolt Action Rifles