Recoil Difference bolt action vs semi auto

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Recoil Difference bolt action vs semi auto

Postby engineer40 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:58 pm

My Dad has shot my 450BM in AR platform and enjoyed it very much. He is thinking about picking up one of the Ruger American bolt action rifles this week in 450BM. I know those come with a factory brake.

He is worried that the recoil will be significantly more being that it's bolt action and not a gas operated semi auto.

Does anybody have experience shooting both and could verbally compare them for me in a response?

My semi auto 12 gauge recoil is literally half of my pump 12 gauge. Is it that large of a difference with the 450BM also?

Thanks all! Really appreciate your opinions!
Last edited by engineer40 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
engineer40

Re: Recoil Difference bolt action vs semi auto

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:10 pm

Perceived recoil is not only dependent upon semiauto vs non semiauto. Perceived recoil is inversely proportional to overall weight. The 450b Ruger American is spec'd at 5.5 lbs. The Bushmaster 450b is spec'd at 8.3 lbs. That 1/3 difference in weight will no doubt account for 1/3 more perceived recoil. However, I do not have one of each kind of rifle to do an A/B comparison, so I'll let those who do and did, chime in.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:01 pm

the only reference point i cacn give you is a 20" ar with a brake and a 20" ar with just a flash hider.

it wasnt a huge difference, but it was noticeable difference between the two in felt recoil.

as hoot said, with a couple pound lighter rifle, you'd probably feel it more too.
plant_one

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:10 pm

I've got the AR 20", a New Englander Single shot, and the 16" Ruger American. All with a Ross Brake. The AR recoil feels mild, more like a 308. The Ruger American is just a tad more recoil but still very enjoyable to shoot.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:09 am

I'll add that hip shooting a AR with a Ruger factory brake and a Ross brake, there is a difference. Not huge but the Ross does a Lil better job.

Adding a Boyds stock will get you some extra weight along with better looks.

And seeing you reload, it's no problem to start on the low end of the scale which should help a bit too.
Al in Mi

Postby engineer40 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:29 pm

Thanks everyone! He ended up buying the 450 Ruger American.

We shot my semi auto 16" barrel with a Ross brake back to back with his new Ruger American bolt action with factory brake. Honestly they were both very enjoyable! We had a lot of fun yesterday.
engineer40

Return to Bolt Action Rifles