New bolt gun offering along with some new ammo

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

New bolt gun offering along with some new ammo

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:38 am

ran across these guys while waiting on my morning coffee

https://bearcreekballistics.com/product ... ushmaster/

ammo looks impressive too

https://bearcreekballistics.com/product ... rain-ammo/
Al in Mi

Re: New bolt gun offering along with some new ammo

Postby earlwb » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:38 am

The 450 Bushmaster is gaining some good traction nowadays. More and more businesses and companies are making guns and ammunition for it.
Nice. I like that it is becoming more popular.
earlwb

Postby Hoot » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:03 am

I'd like the top model with the exception of the skeletonized stock profile. Would rather see the missing wood left on. I have one stock like that for my 10/22 and the missing weight makes it feel nose heavy. "I like big butts, I cannot lie." ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Marco45 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:29 pm

What 285gr bullet is that in ammo... Noveske?
Marco45

Postby Hoot » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:16 am

Marco45 wrote:What 285gr bullet is that in ammo... Noveske?

Gotta say, I've never seen that particular bullet before. At first it looked like one of those suspended particle bullets but they fragment upon impact. the resultant expansion looks like a Barnes pattern but it doesn't have driving bands. I didn' event know Noveske made bullets. The more, the merrier.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:31 am

I'm all for new stuff too Hoot. Might have to get a couple packs this winter and see what they do. My #1 is dialed in with the 275gr Barnes now, good benchmark to go against.
Al in Mi

Postby pitted bore » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:12 pm

Al in Mi-
Thanks for posting the links to the bearcreekballistics site. The ammo in particular is intriguing for several reasons. Based on the comments about Noveske I checked their web site, and the bullet has a profile very much like the 30AAC Blackout Ballistic Glow Tip RN. That bullet is made by Nosler, it says. It would be interesting to obtain a box of the bearcreek ammo just to see whether the tips glow in the dark.

The really interesting part of the blurb is the notation "for bolt action rifles only" (see image below). In a recent thread Hoot has referred to the de facto division af ammo and reloading data into AR-compliant and into higher pressure ammo and data. Fifty-plus years ago there were problems with high-speed 32-20 ammo intended for strong lever rifles and the standard ammo which could be safely fired in older pistols and black-powder rifles. Loading data for the 45-70 has been divided into three pressure tiers.

There was a lengthy back-and-forth discussion at the beginning of the old calgun's 450B forum thread about the ability of ARs to withstand pressures higher than the SAAMI spec 40K psi. I recall that there were no firm conclusions. One wonders what would happen if a bearcreek cartridge were fired in an AR.
Would it be be helpful and sufficient warning if the cases were headstamped "+P", like the 38 Special and other cartridges?

Loading data sets for the +P and regular cartridges are separated in the manuals, and could be done so for the 450B.

Comments?
--Bob
(edited to update link to image)
Last edited by pitted bore on Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
pitted bore

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:20 am

Bob, I took that to be because of OAL just cuz they just look loooooooong :? But at 2300fps those are cooking right along too.
Al in Mi

Postby earlwb » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:27 am

I think that it is too long to fit in the magazines of the AR platform guns. But it may not fit in some of the bolt action rifles either. The extra long and pointy bullet has a better ballistics coefficient and thus it would have some longer range to it for hunting, etc. If they sell the bullets for reloading, one might be able to set the bullet in more deeply into the case. But that reduces the propellant capacity though thus less performance.
Last edited by earlwb on Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
earlwb

Postby Hoot » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:27 am

Actually you can almost dismiss the higher powder charge as disqualifying that cartridge from AR platform use. That bullet looks way too long in that picture, for the round to fit in an AR magazine, so it would be relegated to single shot activity. In a bolt gun, that looks like a serious dose of smackdown, especially from one with a rifle length barrel.

Hoot

EDIT: I keep doubling with Al... :roll:

Al, your gift is in the mail
Hoot

Next

Return to Bolt Action Rifles