Muzzle Brake worth it?

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Muzzle Brake worth it?

Postby jphillips0422 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:10 am

Hello,

New to the forum. I purchased a 22" stainless Ruger American 450 Bushmaster for this year's Ohio hunting season. I used Black Butterfly with 275g Barnes XPB Ammunition because I did't have time to make my own XPB or TSX load. Love Barnes bullets for hunting. Now that it is over, I'm looking to have some upgrades done. Adding the following: Boyd's stock with V-blocks glass bedded, barrel floated, DIP Metal trigger guard, V3 precision metal magazine clip, and maybe a Timney trigger.

I was fine without having a muzzle brake this year, but looking to make a load to maximize a 275 grain Barnes TSX for power and accuracy or even trying the Bear Creek Ballistics ammunition that was posted on another thread (impressive ballistics https://bearcreekballistics.com/product ... rain-ammo/ ). Wanted opinions on getting/needing the Mag-na-brake? I welcome pros cons and any additional thoughts.

Thank you,
jphillips0422

Re: Muzzle Brake worth it?

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:15 am

welcome aboard and some nice mods your looking to do to that RAR.

that barrel threaded now?
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:15 am

Welcome Aboard OM!

The muzzle brake helps but not like a muzzle brake helps with a 300 Win Mag. Most of the recoil you feel in a 450b is from Newton's 3rd Law, not the "rocket effect" that brakes help mitigate.
I recommend Ross Schuler's SS brake as he can match it pretty close to the barrel for about $50.00. He will include an SS thread protector in the deal if you ask for one.

Here's how mine turned out:

Your other upgrades sound like icing on the cake. I love the Boyd's Thumbhole Varminter laminated stock. Many of my bolt actions wear one.

Hoot

EDIT: Looks like I doubled with Al
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby jphillips0422 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:38 am

Al - Unfortunately, the barrel is not threaded, so that adds some extra cost.

Hoot - thank you for the insight on the recoil and information about Ross Schuler. I'll have to take a deeper look at them. I went with the Prairie Hunter in Pepper and added the some checkering and the Kick-Eez recoil pad. This will be my first Boyds.
jphillips0422

Postby Hoot » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:43 pm

jphillips0422 wrote:Al - Unfortunately, the barrel is not threaded, so that adds some extra cost.

Hoot - thank you for the insight on the recoil and information about Ross Schuler. I'll have to take a deeper look at them. I went with the Prairie Hunter in Pepper and added the some checkering and the Kick-Eez recoil pad. This will be my first Boyds.

The barrel in the picture wasn't threaded either. I set it to Ross. He threaded it, made and matched up the brake and shipped it back for a hundred bucks including the knurled thread protector. He's quite a humble, good guy. Very down to earth on his pricing.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Buckeye45 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:55 pm

You could alway Mag-na-port it. Probably cost less in long run.
Buckeye45

Return to Bolt Action Rifles