Muzzle Brake worth it?

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Muzzle Brake worth it?

Postby jphillips0422 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:10 am

Hello,

New to the forum. I purchased a 22" stainless Ruger American 450 Bushmaster for this year's Ohio hunting season. I used Black Butterfly with 275g Barnes XPB Ammunition because I did't have time to make my own XPB or TSX load. Love Barnes bullets for hunting. Now that it is over, I'm looking to have some upgrades done. Adding the following: Boyd's stock with V-blocks glass bedded, barrel floated, DIP Metal trigger guard, V3 precision metal magazine clip, and maybe a Timney trigger.

I was fine without having a muzzle brake this year, but looking to make a load to maximize a 275 grain Barnes TSX for power and accuracy or even trying the Bear Creek Ballistics ammunition that was posted on another thread (impressive ballistics https://bearcreekballistics.com/product ... rain-ammo/ ). Wanted opinions on getting/needing the Mag-na-brake? I welcome pros cons and any additional thoughts.

Thank you,
jphillips0422

Re: Muzzle Brake worth it?

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:15 am

welcome aboard and some nice mods your looking to do to that RAR.

that barrel threaded now?
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:15 am

Welcome Aboard OM!

The muzzle brake helps but not like a muzzle brake helps with a 300 Win Mag. Most of the recoil you feel in a 450b is from Newton's 3rd Law, not the "rocket effect" that brakes help mitigate.
I recommend Ross Schuler's SS brake as he can match it pretty close to the barrel for about $50.00. He will include an SS thread protector in the deal if you ask for one.

Here's how mine turned out:

Your other upgrades sound like icing on the cake. I love the Boyd's Thumbhole Varminter laminated stock. Many of my bolt actions wear one.

Hoot

EDIT: Looks like I doubled with Al
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby jphillips0422 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:38 am

Al - Unfortunately, the barrel is not threaded, so that adds some extra cost.

Hoot - thank you for the insight on the recoil and information about Ross Schuler. I'll have to take a deeper look at them. I went with the Prairie Hunter in Pepper and added the some checkering and the Kick-Eez recoil pad. This will be my first Boyds.
jphillips0422

Postby Hoot » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:43 pm

jphillips0422 wrote:Al - Unfortunately, the barrel is not threaded, so that adds some extra cost.

Hoot - thank you for the insight on the recoil and information about Ross Schuler. I'll have to take a deeper look at them. I went with the Prairie Hunter in Pepper and added the some checkering and the Kick-Eez recoil pad. This will be my first Boyds.

The barrel in the picture wasn't threaded either. I set it to Ross. He threaded it, made and matched up the brake and shipped it back for a hundred bucks including the knurled thread protector. He's quite a humble, good guy. Very down to earth on his pricing.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Buckeye45 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:55 pm

You could alway Mag-na-port it. Probably cost less in long run.
Buckeye45

Postby jphillips0422 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:27 am

Hopefully the pictures come through. Stock before photo and after photo with updgrades. I decided to wait on the muzzle break, but added the timney trigger. After zeroing scope my first 3 measured .68 center-to-center using factory Hornady Black ammunition at a 100yards. Didn't have time to shot much else. I'm certain that can shrink with a little practice and concentration.

jphillips0422

Postby jphillips0422 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:33 am

I guess I don't know how the Tinypic upload feature in the forum works. But if you left click on the pictures and select open in new tab you can see the full picture
jphillips0422

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:23 am

Nice, that Boyds stock need much work to fit?
Al in Mi

Postby jphillips0422 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:07 am

The Boyd’s stock fit really well. Just some general cleaning of their milling areas with an exact-o knife and a small bit of sanding to insure the barrel would remain free floated after it heated up (but probably not needed)
jphillips0422

Next

Return to Bolt Action Rifles