Thinking About Building A Bolt Gun, Need Some Advice

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Thinking About Building A Bolt Gun, Need Some Advice

Postby lovetohunt93 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:22 am

Hello everyone,

Since no gun manufacturer builds a bolt gun that I really like, and custom/semi-custom builds all run over $2,000 it seems, I am thinking about building a bolt gun how I want one.
I would have to have someone else put the barrel on the action as I do not have the tools/knowledge to do so. Everything else does not really seem like it could be that difficult? (I worked in a machine shop for 3 years so I consider myself rather handy).

I was thinking about using this action here: https://bighornarms.com/product/origin-action-deposit/
It takes Savage pre-fit barrels so I am thinking there is plenty of people around that could barrel it for me. And a 450bm has the same bolt face as a .308 correct?

Do you guys think that action would be good to build a 450bm on? I am thinking after all parts the total build cost would be $1,500-$1,800 depending on components used. I have had a couple custom builders give me quotes on rifles I want built and they come in between $2,200 and $2,600 (which is too much to stomach for a hunting rifle for me).

Anyway, thanks for any thoughts or comments!
lovetohunt93

Re: Thinking About Building A Bolt Gun, Need Some Advice

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:49 am

yep, .308 case head size.

what specs you looking to build too??
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:16 pm

If you're handy, for the price of a couple of head space gauges and a Savage barrel nut wrench, you can put your barrel on yourself. I change out the different caliber barrels (5 total) on my pair of Savage Model 12's with ease. It takes about 15 minutes once you have the action out of the stock. I wouldn't steer you into deep water. It's truly easy. You do need a table vise, a couple of pieces of 2x4 and either a set of Silver & Deming drill bits or a hole saw bit the size of your barrel to make a barrel clamp. Easier using a drill press to make the hole, but if you have a cool hand, a keen eye and horse sense you can do it with a hand drill.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby lovetohunt93 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:25 pm

Al in Mi wrote:yep, .308 case head size.

what specs you looking to build too??

I am thinking of a McGowen 20-22" stainless barrel, they make savage pre-fit barrels and also seem like they are decently priced.
I will most likely use a Timney Trigger, unsure on bottom metal at this point. Either a Manners or Bell & Carlson stock.

Just seems like for the price I could build a really nice rifle for a lot less than what a custom builder would charge.
lovetohunt93

Postby lovetohunt93 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:26 pm

Hoot wrote:If you're handy, for the price of a couple of head space gauges and a Savage barrel nut wrench, you can put your barrel on yourself. I change out the different caliber barrels (5 total) on my pair of Savage Model 12's with ease. It takes about 15 minutes once you have the action out of the stock. I wouldn't steer you into deep water. It's truly easy. You do need a table vise, a couple of pieces of 2x4 and either a set of Silver & Deming drill bits or a hole saw bit the size of your barrel to make a barrel clamp. Easier using a drill press to make the hole, but if you have a cool hand, a keen eye and horse sense you can do it with a hand drill.

Hoot

If it is not that difficult, maybe I will read up/watch some videos and see how it goes. That would save money on the build as long as I do it properly.
lovetohunt93

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:40 pm

Look up Christensen Arms Mesa, think a couple of the guys here have gave them a test drive.
Al in Mi

Postby mauser323 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:36 pm

Hello to All
Has anyone built a 450 BM on a Large ring mauser action. I've talked with E.R. Shaw and the barrel cost with install is under $400.00. The rifle already has a Timney trigger and some very nice wood, I was thinking of using the Hornady 225 FTX. Anybody using this bullet for their loads.
mauser323

Postby ballisticedge » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:10 pm

We built one on a Mauser. We got a barrel from Rhineland arms. Been using the 225, 250, as well as some other pills. I just did a mod on ours using a PTG detachable mag bottom metal and AICS mag. The 250 ftx feed great but have learned to seat the bullets a little longer for xtp type bullets.
phil
ballisticedge

Return to Bolt Action Rifles