bedding v-block recoil lugs for Boyd's stock

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

bedding v-block recoil lugs for Boyd's stock

Postby CJP1 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:44 pm

Has anyone here bedded or glued the metal v-block recoil lugs into their new Boyds stock? If so, what bonding product did you use? I bought the $80.00 birch stock and am starting to get everything together to mount it to my action and free float the barrel. Thank you for your help with this matter.
CJP1
CJP1

Re: bedding v-block recoil lugs for Boyd's stock

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:45 pm

buddy did his creed, used JB weld. no change in accuracy from his Tupperware stock
Al in Mi

Postby CJP1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:42 pm

I also ordered the V3 Precision pillars today and having a machinest make me a magazine latch tab from aluminum. I'll have to drill out the stock for the pillars and bed them in along with the v-blocks.
CJP1

Postby CJP1 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:56 pm

I finally decided to just go for it. I used JB Weld last night to bed the pillars. I bedded the v-block recoil lugs this morning with brown Pro-Bed 2000. Hopefully it will come apart.
CJP1

Postby Hoot » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:02 pm

CJP1 wrote:I finally decided to just go for it. I used JB Weld last night to bed the pillars. I bedded the v-block recoil lugs this morning with brown Pro-Bed 2000. Hopefully it will come apart.

Give it extra time to cure beyond what the specs say. The longer it cures, the more brittle the release points adhesion become. Then just before trying to wrestle it out, give every safe spot a whack or two with a rubber dent mallet. If you have a nylon tipped drift mallet, which produce more higher frequency vibrations than a dent mallet, give the barrel and receiver some sharp raps for good measure. Both are best done with the rifle cooler than when it was curing. Sit it in front of an AC unit or vent just above the furnace plenum for an hour or so just before beating it up with the mallets.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby CJP1 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:29 am

Hoot,
I left the epoxy bedding cure for three days. With the v-blocks bedded, the barreled action practically fell out of the stock when loosened up. Then took to the range and put 3 rounds down the pipe with the Boyds stock attached. Neither of the v-blocks moved. I did notice that I could add more bedding where I dammed the mag well with clay on the front v-block. I also added some to the side of rear v-block closest to the mag well.
CJP1

Return to Bolt Action Rifles