Waiting to test loads

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Waiting to test loads

Postby CJP1 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:17 pm

I loaded up 96 rounds with three different bullets for group testing. I'm waiting on my co-worker to make my magazine catch plate from aluminum. I also recieved my aluminum pillars. As soon as I get the new mag catch plate I'm going to try my hand at bedding the pillars and v-blocks onto my Boyds birch stock. I'll be removing the scope and rings as well as cleaning the bore tonight. I don't want to use original Ruger American synthetic stock for testing just in case something changes with new stock.
CJP1

Re: Waiting to test loads

Postby CJP1 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:22 pm

I made it to the range this morning before it got too hot. I had 11 rounds loaded with 240gr bullets. I was there to sight in with high power scope and compare POI between both stocks mounted to the barreled action. I was stringing the loads vertically. When I got home I noticed that my scope had slid ahead in the rings. It will have to get a lot cooler before I go out testing my loads.
CJP1

Postby CJP1 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:55 am

I pulled Barnes bullets from 64 rounds with inertia puller because of unknown powder weights. Waiting on new Forster collet to pull remaining 32 Hornady bullets. I threw my Pact powder dispencer away and will be useing new RCBS Chargemaster Lite to measure new loads. My Pact scale measures the same as my RCBS so I'll be useing it to recheck powder weights.
CJP1

Postby CJP1 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:26 pm

I finally recieved the new Forster collet for pulling 240gr XTP Mag bullets. I had a heck of a time pulling the bullets as I had side and taper crimped them. Time to start reloading soon.
CJP1

Postby CJP1 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:00 am

Well I finally made it to the the range to test my 200gr Barnes XPB's. My best group was with 47gr of Lil-Gun and CCI small rifle mag primers. It's getting close to deer season so I'll test the 240gr XTP and 275gr XPB rounds after the rifle season is over. I switched from my 6-18x40 testing scope back to the 3-9x40 hunting scope. Now I just need to load up some rounds for sighting in as well as some for hunting.
CJP1

Postby Hoot » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:31 am

Though I'm not a fan of side crimping, the one exception I make is my hunting loads. I also use new brass for them. Too much at stake to quibble over tenths of an MOA accuracy hit or permanent scars. The scar thing is not a cosmetic objection as much as its a consistent seating resistance one. FWIW

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Bolt Action Rifles