RAR - realistic expectations?

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

RAR - realistic expectations?

Postby Tag Soup » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:26 pm

I just took my Ruger American out to the range for the first time and I got a 1.5” best group (not complaining, but I did expect better). Should I expect better? Does it improve as it gets broken in? How many does it take to break it in?
Tag Soup

Re: RAR - realistic expectations?

Postby Hoot » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:58 pm

Tag Soup wrote:I just took my Ruger American out to the range for the first time and I got a 1.5” best group (not complaining, but I did expect better). Should I expect better? Does it improve as it gets broken in? How many does it take to break it in?

All my 450b setups are AR based so I'll let RAR owners chime in about barrel break-in. Another of my passions is competing in BenchRest shooting. My experience has been that the more BenchRest-like your shooting setup, the easier is is to keep the groups sub-MOA. This caliber Rocks and Rolls a rifle. With a less precise shooting setup, 1.5 MOA is doing pretty good at 100 yds. The other point is your optics, assuming you're using a scope. Take two .45 sized circles, 1 inch apart (C-T-C) on a piece of paper and look at them through your scope at 100 yds. If you can't resolve the difference between them because of reticle thickness or the power of your scope, you can't expect to reliably shoot in between them, IE a 1 inch group. The rifle can't shoot itself. It needs precise guidance to shoot precise. When I'm testing load recipes for the 450b, I use a 24X scope at 100 yds. I'm not testing my eyes, I'm testing the load recipe.

You want to remove as many variables as possible when testing for accuracy and precision.

Here's an example. Solid concrete shooting table, high resistance rubber mat, 6-24x scope, stable micro-adjustable AZ/EL front rest, stable lead shot filled rear bag, even an adjustable height chair. (I use a "Pork Pie"drummer's throne)

just sayin'... ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Buckeye45 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:54 am

In short, yes it may get better. I'm on the second season with mine. Setting up and sighting in last year that is about what I had at about 50 rounds down the pipe. Cleaned good in off-season and started over a few weeks ago and at 75 or so rounds getting about an inch. Plenty good for me coming from a former shotgun/ slug state. Some folks report their rifles shoot better but this is my limited experience. Coincidentally my AR upper I built in 450 has tightened up as well after about 75 rounds so I think break in is an issue. Also I've noticed both seem to prefer a "dirty" barrel. Both opened up after cleaning and began to settle back in after 1 box. My goal is to reload some FMJ plinking loads this winter and shoot the snot out of both.
Buckeye45

Postby CJP1 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:17 pm

I've shot my RAR quite a bit in the last year as I reload for it. My rifle has an after market trigger and weight in forend and stock as well as an aftermarket muzzle brake. It is able to shoot Hornady or handloaded rounds very accurately. If you can afford it, trigger time will help you to get MOA or better out of your rifle. It will shoot only as good as you do. Make sure everything is tight and Loctited with base screws and cross bolt on rings if it came as a package. A good scope will also help. It can be a 300 yd rifle in the hands of certain shooters which I'm not one of.
CJP1

Return to Bolt Action Rifles