Building a 450 BM bolt gun

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Building a 450 BM bolt gun

Postby Rich44 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:59 pm

Hello
I'm looking for information, suggestions on building a 450 BM bolt action for deer hunting here in Ohio.
I'm thinking of using a Stiller Predator short action I have along with a McMillan Remington Hunter stock with HS Precision DBM.
The stock was inletted for the Stiller action and a #5 contour Pacnor barrel, so a couple of questions on barrel length and twist.
What is the optimum twist for 250 gr bullets and barrel length, I'm thinking 18 twist and 18-20" barrel.
Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated thanks
Rich44

Re: Building a 450 BM bolt gun

Postby Hoot » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:34 pm

Rich44 wrote:Hello
I'm looking for information, suggestions on building a 450 BM bolt action for deer hunting here in Ohio.
I'm thinking of using a Stiller Predator short action I have along with a McMillan Remington Hunter stock with HS Precision DBM.
The stock was inletted for the Stiller action and a #5 contour Pacnor barrel, so a couple of questions on barrel length and twist.
What is the optimum twist for 250 gr bullets and barrel length, I'm thinking 18 twist and 18-20" barrel.
Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated thanks

Welcome Aboard Rich!

When Bushmaster originally designed their rifle, the only ammunition commercially made was the Hornady 250gr FTX. Bushmaster chose a 1:24 twist barrel for it. That's a good choice for bullets weighing between 200-300gr. I'm a big fan of rifles having rifle length barrels, so I biased toward a 20" barrel as a minimum. There's not much of a compromise going with a 1:18 twist 18" barrel if that's what you want however. Your planned Stiller setup will represent the upper crust of platforms around these parts. They make phenomenal BR actions! In my dreams, I own one. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:33 am

my thoughts on the ultimate Ohio deer blaster seeing you guys aren't restricted to case length, would be 22-24" Pacnor in a 450 Marlin and run the Hornady 250gr Monoflex or the 300gr Barnes TTSX hard ;)

If I were set on a 450B, I'd go with a 22T Pacnor, 22" long. Couple guys on here have Christensen Arms Mesa 450's and are extremely happy with them for out of the box medium higher end guns. There is a nice selection of bullets the smokeless ML guys use if your into longer ranges and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have OAL issues.
Al in Mi

Postby Rich44 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:31 am

Ok barrel is ordered 22 twist #5 contour Pacnor, ordered it to finish at 26" just so it fits the barrel channel in my McMillan stock not sure what length it will end up but probably between 20" or 22".
Also ordered headspace gauge's since this will be part of a switch barrel setup using Bugholes Bug Nut.
Right now the stock is setup as a BDL with PTG bottom metal but I have a extra HS DBM setup on the shelf, I was playing around with some black box factory ammo in a 308 mag and it seems like it will work, we'll see in a couple months.
Thanks for the help can't wait to get this done (waiting is always the hard part)
Rich44

Return to Bolt Action Rifles