I got one

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

I got one

Postby gsurko » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:32 pm

Today I bought a 450 Bushmaster RAR. Now what? Advice on dies, brass ,everything . Help!
gsurko

Re: I got one

Postby KenMI » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:55 pm

Dies- Hornady, unless you really want to spend the money for Redding. Don't bother with Lee or Lyman.

Brass- Starline, for sure. Way better than Hornady.

Primers- Rem 7 1/2s will do all you need

Bullets- For target or plinking, FTX are fine. For hunting, they suck. Barnes 200, 275, or 250 T-EZ will be your best bet for deer.

Powder- generally, Lil' Gun for up to 250 grain and H110 for 275 gn. MP 300 also works well for 275s

Maybe Al or Thom will also offer some info. They both have loaded way more than I have for it, but the above will get you well on the way.
KenMI

Postby 303hunter » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:11 pm

Not an RAR, but my Lee dies have worked great for my AR build. Hornady brass has been gtg along with 450 primers.
303hunter

Postby FSJeeper » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:55 pm

Welcome and congratulations.

Long time re-loader but am just starting with the 450 Bushmaster. My experience so far with factory ammo is so good I will be lucky to duplicate it.

I am starting with Lil Gun powder, starline brass, Remington 7 12 primers, and I have over a thousand 225 FTX's I bought on sale a few years ago for my .45 Long Colt pistol and rifle.

Have Lee dies and from what I can tell they have sorted out the crimping issues and they work well as is.

Looking forward to experiementing with good hunting bullets for Hogs.
FSJeeper

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:35 am

welcome.

Hornady dies and brass was the only gig in town when I jumped into the 450, no complaints on this end.

Powder, Lilgun for the light stuff (250gr and under) and 300MP or H110/296 for things heavier. I stumbled onto 300MP when it first came out and H10/296 was in short supply. I seems to burn 1-2gr slower and have seen no difference in accuracy between the two. With the bolt guns you can seat the bullets out a good bit and turn the burners on. ;)

Primers, I use CCI 450's, mostly because Remmy 7 1/2's are scarce around here.

Bullets, the FTX's for accuracy but I'm not a fan of them for hunting. Hard to beat the Barnes for hunting althou I've been playing with some Fury Custom bullets last couple of years and Dennis makes some good ones. http://www.furycustombullets.com/
Al in Mi

Postby gsurko » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:36 am

Thanks for the replies. I’m a longtime hand loader but new to the 450 bm, I have CcI 450’s in stock and a small amount of H110 and no brass or factory ammo and I’m waiting on a scope. Hunting season is over around here so I have time ( but anxious to play with my new toy) to set up for loading. My usual M.O. with a new rifle is to buy brass and start from there and work up a load. I have several firearms that have never been soiled by factory ammo and I guess I may as well do the same with this one. Big fan of Barnes bullets and intend this rifle for close quarter blind hunting in the swamp where you want your deer dirt. So I’m heavily leaning towards the 275 gr. Barnes because this is going to be a close range tool so a flat ( for this cartridge ) trajectory is not even a concern. I have a bunch of Hornady 300 grain xtp’s that I love in my muzzle loader but they’re not the magnums, would they be usable for initial sight in, Or should I just buy the Barnes and bite the bullet so to speak?
gsurko

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:51 am

jackets are pretty thin on the regular XTP's so I'd start at the low end just to get sighted in.

If you decide on Hornady brass, it's really hard to beat a box of the Hornady factory ammo for accuracy and testing for function etc.
Al in Mi

Postby gsurko » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:57 pm

Thanks Al: I have been contemplating going the factory ammo route to acquire brass and initial sight in figuring cost of just loading starting out loads, 3 boxes of factory ammo isn’t a whole lot more then 50 pieces of brass. Where are you in Mi? I live in Hastings, southwest side of the state.
gsurko

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:14 pm

Welcome to our addiction!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby plant_one » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:07 pm

gsurko wrote: I have a bunch of Hornady 300 grain xtp’s that I love in my muzzle loader but they’re not the magnums, would they be usable for initial sight in, Or should I just buy the Barnes and bite the bullet so to speak?

from hornady - re: non mag XTP bullets and the 450 bushmaster.

long and short - use these non-mag bullets in the 450 is not recomended.

if you want a relatively cheap plinker get 225 ftx, or the magnum 240 xtpS

hth
plant_one

Next

Return to Bolt Action Rifles