Ruger GSR mag fix

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Ruger GSR mag fix

Postby WYomer » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:18 pm

Just got the new gunsite 450 Bushmaster and love it with the exception od the mag. It wouldnt feed anything other than gummytips. Since its a .452 bullet that leaves out most of the reloading options. Really its a bad design and honestly negligent of Ruger. My mag would feed the round forward until the last past of feed lips then nosedive down. At first the case mounth would then grab the forward mag edge. I clearanced thst and then the HPs and TMJ bullets would feed below the feed ramp. Here is the negligent part: bullets would get smashed into the case. But being a case mouth headspace round they will fire. Pressure spikes could easily blow a rifle up in this condition.

So next I polished the feed ramp like a 1911 and this helped a lot! All but the biggest HPs would feed 3/4 rounds out of a mag. Still not good but better. The feed ramp angle on the GSR is steep. So I went to work on thr mag instead of clearwncing the ramp. The feed lip is stepped slightly in the front but not enough. I added a brass shim to tur forward edge now it feeds like a champ.

I have pics if anybody wants them. Took me 30 min and about $13.

Im a Ruger fan but this mag was a magor disapointment. Ruger is sending me another but the design has issues. In a .308 im sure its fine. The step from bullet to case neck in a 308 has a 1/4” more step then a straight .450 nose.
WYomer

Re: Ruger GSR mag fix

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:23 am

I'd like to see pics of what you did. That's the first issues I've heard on the gunsite. Buddy has shot a lot of 240gr xtpn mags without a hiccup.
Al in Mi

Postby WYomer » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:35 pm

Ok trying out image links.

WYomer

Postby WYomer » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:55 pm

ImageImage

Sorry photobucket crashed over and over
WYomer

Postby WYomer » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:10 pm

Al in Mi wrote:I'd like to see pics of what you did. That's the first issues I've heard on the gunsite. Buddy has shot a lot of 240gr xtpn mags without a hiccup.

Ruger is sending me a new mag so i hope so! Love the rifle but this mag is junk. I dont really want a poly mag either. A thousand dollar rifle should have a steel mag.
WYomer

Postby Hoot » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:54 pm

If that magazine didn't already work well for a lot of people, I would swear that its way too long. Under recoil, I can see those cartridges assuming positions all over the place in terms of front to back. Obviously I'm wrong or everyone would be screaming about it. That looks long enough to be a 300 Win Mag magazine.

just sayin'...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby PRKL8R » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:28 pm

My mag was stamped .308, but I don't think that was the problem . My mag didn't have antitilt follower and as the round is pushed forward the rounds under it cause it to nosedive. Did feed blunt nosed loads singly. That not a cure, Maybe Ruger has or will make a .450 specific magazine, hopefully anti-tilt.
"a citizenry armed with riles cannot be tyrannized." Jeff Cooper
PRKL8R

Postby Thom28 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:47 pm

I am using the Polymer Magazine in my Gunsite 450, It works like a charm. Loads Barnes XPB, Hornady 240 & 300gr XTP Mag, & 225 & 250FTXs fine.
Al had sent it to me to try in the Gunsite, Been using it every since. Wouldn't even consider going back to the metal magazine even though I never had any problems with it.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby PRKL8R » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:52 pm

What brand polymer mag are you using Thom?
"a citizenry armed with riles cannot be tyrannized." Jeff Cooper
PRKL8R

Postby Thom28 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:39 pm

PRKL8R wrote:What brand polymer mag are you using Thom?

I believe this is the one. I used it all rifle season here in Michigan and never have had any problem with it being loose in magazine well & no problems with feeding the Barnes 200 & 275gr XPB or the Hornady 250gr FTX.

http://shopruger.com/AI-Style-Polymer-3 ... nfo/90560/
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Return to Bolt Action Rifles