Ruger American 450 bushmaster rattling apart

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Ruger American 450 bushmaster rattling apart

Postby Tripplebeards » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:53 am

Realistically I wouldn’t use or trust it for that matter on anything but deer or black bear. I wouldn’t trust a cheap plastic gun and magazine on a guided hunt that cost thousands of dollars with a $300 gun. I’d grab one of my stout 700’s. I bought this to have fun and plink with and load cast bullets for and I have found neither are designed for the 450 BM RAR...as the ruger tech even told me directly. I’ll take a look at the 20” gun scouts and always can have it threaded. It’s not a goto cartridge for anything accept a way to shoot deer at longer distances than a slug in Iowa or Minnesota. I would choose a bottleneck cartridge in a stouter action for anything above the animals I listed above that have the capability to shoot flatter and farther with the same amount to recoil and energy. Don’t get me wrong I still like the little flimsy gun and caliber but need to be real about the expectations of it.

Might just keep it for a spare and run powder puff sub sonic loads through it suppressed. I’m sure it probably won’t fall apart with light loads and realistically all it can probably handle.
Tripplebeards

Postby swampbug » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:43 pm

I seen this same thing happen on Ruger American in a 243 mag screw up fell out scope bases screw up this gun sure didn't like 100 gr factory ammo muck. Groups were bad also I told him to trade it in on a Savage axis which he did way better gun we both say
swampbug

Postby Moore77 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:17 pm

Tripplebeards , I picked up my RAR in 450 Bushmaster today. I took the advice found in your post and disassembled it and degreased everything and reassembled it with loc-tite. The front action screw was somewhat loose.
Moore77

Postby Tripplebeards » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:42 pm

To update this post my RA450BM had to go back to Rugerfor a fifth time last week I haven’t shot it since the last time I received it back and started playing with it and loaded up some dummy rounds a coup,e weeks ago and found the the gun was failing to extract. Ruger missed it when in for repair. Ruger ended up sending me a new extractor spring ball which I installed and still didn’t take care of the situation. I still could move my extractor back-and-forth about an eighth of an inch and would not go back into spring back into place. Ruger figured I needed a new bolt and we’re probably going to replace the action since the bolt stop replacement pin was falling out and they sent me a new one and it still was loose. I asked since I had so much trouble with it and had zero faith in the gun if I could trade it for a different model. Since I have all my reloading supplies and brass for 450 bushmaster I wanted to stick with the same caliber. I asked about the go wild in the gunsight scout. They were willing to trade me even for the go wild or I could spend an additional $110 for the scout. Well that was a no brainer. I of course picked the scout and will have to pay additional fir an FFL transfer fee with the local shop on top of it, but well worth it for a gun that’s in my opinion almost three times as much is what I paid for the American. I’m glad to wash my hands of the American I really like the looks and how it handled but I just had a complex with a gun that literally broke after every range session. Also I just couldn't get used to the Ruger plastic magazine with that gun, its just too cheap and cheesy. Even if it never broke and cycled properly it would be one of the last guns I would take hunting(accept for straight walled pistol deer hunting because it was my only option) just because it felt cheap cheesy in plastic. If it would at least take a higher quality 308 AR Metal or polymer magazine like the gun scout does it wouldn’t be so bad.
Tripplebeards

Previous

Return to Bolt Action Rifles