Optic for Ruger

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Optic for Ruger

Postby Chuck9012 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:11 am

I just got a Ruger American Ranch in .450 Bushmaster. Basically I am planning on using out to 200 yards. What optic do you guys reccomend? I am using Vortex on my other bolt rifles and like them.
Chuck9012

Re: Optic for Ruger

Postby Hoot » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:48 am

Chuck9012 wrote:I just got a Ruger American Ranch in .450 Bushmaster. Basically I am planning on using out to 200 yards. What optic do you guys reccomend? I am using Vortex on my other bolt rifles and like them.

Welcome Aboard Chuck!

Nice looking rig with a supressor no less!

My eyes aren't what they used to be, so my rifles wear scopes of all persuasions. The most useful for your range would be either a 3-9, a 3-12 or a 4-16, I would think. Personally, If knew I had to take shots at up to 200 yds, my 450b would not be the first rifle I'd grab and I love it dearly. Where I hunt, its a legal rifle zone. Not saying it can't be effective at 200 yds but I have plenty of caliber selections to work with. I do love my 450b for deep woods hunting where 75yds would be an unusually long shot.

There are some 3-9 scopes with holdover dots that align pretty well for the 450b. I don't own one but thee are members here who do.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: Optic for Rug

Postby Tripplebeards » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:59 pm

Before you mount any optic on it remove the scope rail, bed it with acraglass or red lock tite or it WILL come loose in about a dozen firings or so. I also sprayed 3M industrial adhesive inside the scope rings this time around. You'll thank me later. If you do some googling you'll find a lot have been coming loose. Check out my Ruger rattling apart post.

I run a Nikon pro staff 5, 3.5x14 40 mm BDC on mine. Wrecked one and the replacement slid back in 6 rounds. Rings were torqued to spec the whole time but still slid rearward from the loose scope rail.
Tripplebeards

Postby CJP1 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:05 pm

Chuck,
I also own a Ruger American Ranch 450 BM. I have had it for almost a year and a half and here are some things you can do to your rifle that could help with your newly purchased scope. I recommend removing base. Then clean screws and holes in reciever of any oil, apply light blue Loctite and torque to 20 in/lbs. I also recommend purchasing a good pair of rings (I use the Burris Signature Zee rings). They have more area to grip your scope than coventional rings. There are other added benefits to using these rings that you can look up. Your new scope should weigh as least as possible so it won't want to slide ahead like the heavier ones want to do. I have 3-9x40mm Leupold VX2 on my rifle which is pretty light and can be used out to 200 yds. I also put epoxy in the barrel channel of my factory stock to help control the barrel rise but found the rifle to be front heavy. I then filled the butt stock with epoxy to balance out weight. I drilled out some of the epoxy as butt end was too heavy.If I were to epoxy a butt stock again I would use small dia PVC to take up some of the room in the butt stock and pour epoxy around the PVC so that I wouldn't have to drill out excess epoxy. I hope this has been some help to whomever reads this.
CJP1
CJP1

Postby Moore77 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:16 pm

I haven't made my mind up yet on the Ranch or the 22" American Go Wild. I have a Nikon Monarch 2.5 x 10 x 42 BDC that I plan on using. It will go low enough for the woods and allow me to shoot out to around 150 yards , but I don't plan on shooting farther than 100 yards ( it will definitely allow a longer shot ).
Moore77

Return to Bolt Action Rifles