Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle 450B

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle 450B

Postby wetcheerios » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:40 pm

Well, I went into Cabelas to buy an American Ranch in 450 finally, then I saw the wooden stock with the same brake on it and made the mistake of asking the gentleman behind the counter what it was. Kong story short, you're welcome, as soon as I had the rifle in my hands, I knew I was going home with it. Such a beautiful rifle! I'm tossing around the idea of getting a scope for it, but not sure I need one as well as it shoots from the bench with the iron sights. I couldn't wait for brass, bullets, and dies, so I bought a box of Hornady 250 FTX to sight the gun in. Wow! My last three three shot groups at 100 yards were less than 2", with two touching in two of them. Color me happy, and impressed! I've always been a decent shot, so I know the gun is on. I have two OCW tests ready for tomorrow with the 225 FTX and the 300 XTP. I am using Lil'Gun for each, but am trying to get some data for 300-MP as well. I mean, I can always surmise a good starting point, and work up safely to a max charge, but I'd like to have some more experience testing established data first so I can see how my rifle likes full house loads, vs middle of the road charges, etc. I have been reloading for a few years, and have never had a rifle that has not shown pressure signs at max book charges. I spend a lot of time on the 6.5 Creedmoor forum, and a lot of guys shoot the 140+ class bullets with well over established boox max for H4350, but my rifles have never gone more than 41.5 grains at 2850-ish, and anything more starts to spell trouble.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling. If you guys have this rifle and have some sweet pet loads you like, let me know, if you would. Stay safe, and have fun!
wetcheerios

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle 450B

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:48 am

nice gun.

Board member Thom will no doubt chime in with his pet loads
Al in Mi

Postby wetcheerios » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:36 am

Great! Like I said, I just like to feel a rifle out before I start adventuring down relatively uncharted paths.
wetcheerios

Postby Thom28 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:18 am

Welcome wetcheerios. Loads of great information here and a great group that are very helpful.

I also have a Gunsite in 450. Great rifle and as you have found out, very accurate. I have been hunting whitetails with the 450 for the past 4 seasons. The first couple of years I used the 250FTX factory ammo. After the second year I came to the conclusion there had to be better options in bullets than the FTX.

I ran test loads using both the 240gr XTP Mag and the 300 XTP Mag. I did not try either the 240 or 300gr XTP. Reason I did not experiment with the regular XTPs was because of information I read on this forum. They would not allow me to get the full potential out of the 450 due to a thinner jacket that would not tolerate fps the 450 is capable of. See this post:

http://www.450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13448

I found the 300gr XTP Mag offered the best groups. IIRMC the groups were about 2" at 100 yards.

Then buddy Ken, suggested I try some test loads with the 200 and 275gr Barnes XPB made for the 460 S&W. After trying a wide range of powders,I was able to find a load that was equal in accurancy to factory ammo with the 200gr. Used that load this year and was amazed with the result on the buck I got. When I shot him, he rear up on hind legs and ran about 40 yards and dropped. Massive blood trail with exit wound almost golf ball size.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Return to Bolt Action Rifles