Did my .450B kill my Leupold?

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Did my .450B kill my Leupold?

Postby coyote wacker » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:55 am

I used Leupold scope exclusively for over 3 decades, about 15 years ago got into big bore rifles. Thats when I started sending a couple Leupold's back a year for service. I've had a 2x7 that lasted 2 shots on a 12 ga. slug gun and a bunch more under 100 rounds. 6 years ago sent 6 scopes back because they would not hold zero. Leupold rep called me and offered to replace all scope with there top of the line free, I took them up on the offer. I had been trying out some Nikon Monark scopes and a couple had several 1000 round from some heavy kickers and were still going great, most Leupolds would have failed with that many rounds. When the the new Leupolds arrived sold them and every Leupold I had, now all my rifles are topped with Nikons.

I have yet to have one fail.
coyote wacker

Postby Hoot » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:50 pm

coyote wacker wrote:I used Leupold scope exclusively for over 3 decades, about 15 years ago got into big bore rifles. Thats when I started sending a couple Leupold's back a year for service. I've had a 2x7 that lasted 2 shots on a 12 ga. slug gun and a bunch more under 100 rounds. 6 years ago sent 6 scopes back because they would not hold zero. Leupold rep called me and offered to replace all scope with there top of the line free, I took them up on the offer. I had been trying out some Nikon Monark scopes and a couple had several 1000 round from some heavy kickers and were still going great, most Leupolds would have failed with that many rounds. When the the new Leupolds arrived sold them and every Leupold I had, now all my rifles are topped with Nikons.

I have yet to have one fail.

Same experience with Nikon Monarchs. I use a 6-24x50 on my 450b for load testing, at least for the last 500-600 rounds and a 4-16x50 for hunting. Actually have 2) of the 6-24x50. Other one gets swapped about for load testing on other rifles. Lastly is a 3-9x42 for hunting. All four have survived life aboard different platforms, including a Westernfield (Mossberg) 550 with rifled slug barrel. Didn't keep that one very long though. Insufferable recoil with 2 3/4 foster slugs. :o

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hubcap500 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:56 pm

I quit doing R&D for Nikon red dots after the 3rd fell apart on a S&W 500. They claimed it was built for it, but see Hoot's tagline.
Hubcap500

Postby timotheius99 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:30 am

So I thought I would post an update to this old thread, just in case it might help anyone else in the future. I think I have the problem solved, although I can't say for certain what exactly was causing the problem. In short, I now think the scopes were probably fine, and that my accuracy problems were probably caused by a slightly loose muzzle brake.

I sent my Leupold vx3 scope back to Leupold for service. I explained to them that I thought it wasn't holding zero. Several weeks later they sent the scope back to me with a note enclosed stating that they had replaced all the internal components. They didn't state whether there was a problem with the scope or not, they just replaced everything and sent it back to me. Generally I was pretty pleased with Leupold's service. I have since mounted that same scope on a Tikka .243 rifle and the scope holds zero just fine and works perfectly. That rifle is a sub-moa tack driver.

While I was waiting on the vx3 for service, I went ahead and bought another Leupold scope, the VX-Freedom 3x9 with CDS dial. I mounted it on my Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle. I used the Ruger factory rings. During the mounting process, I noticed for the first time that the muzzle brake was a little loose on the threads. This was very concerning for me, because a loose muzzle brake could have possibly been the source of the problems all along. So I took the muzzle brake completely off and decided to shoot the gun without the brake. I made sure every last screw and moving part got a good dose of blue locktite.

Long story short, the Ruger GSR with no muzzle brake, VX freedom scope and Ruger rings is holding tight and shooting very well. No more problems of my groups jumping around the target. Honestly, I think the problem all along was probably a loose muzzle brake, but I'll never know for sure. My other gun, my Savage Wolverine .450 is locked down and shooting very well also. The Leupold VX3 scope that I thought I had "killed" is now sitting nicely on my .243 rifle and working like a champ.

To anyone who may be experiencing problems similar to mine, I would offer the following advice. Chances are your scope is fine, but there is one tiny little component that is loose somewhere. To eliminate this as a possibility, buy all steel rings, steel bases, and locktite down with blue locktite every last moving part that you can. Ring screws, base screws, muzzle brakes, thread protectors, whatever. Use quality steel mounting parts and locktite down everything. If it can rattle loose, I guarantee that it will. Also, don't be afraid to shoot your .450 bushmaster without a muzzle brake. Due to all the internet hype, I thought the recoil was going to be unbearable. Its not. Without the brake, I feel like my Ruger GSR .450 is comparable to the recoil of a .308. I think removing the muzzle brake makes for a quieter gun (rings my ears less), no air blowback, and a more "normal" vibration in the gun that might be less likely to rattle things loose. Just my 2 cents and I hope this might help someone out.
timotheius99

Postby Thom28 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:48 am

Tim-Good to hear you finally got the problem figured out and that the Scout is now performing up to your expectations. Good luck hunting.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby plant_one » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:37 am

did you happen to see any copper shavings on the brake? that'd tell ya if ya were clipping it during shooting.

glad to hear you got it sorted out.
plant_one

Postby timotheius99 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:30 am

I did not notice any copper shavings. I don't think the bullet was clipping the brake. I just think the loose brake was affecting the pressure, velocity, and barrel harmonics so that the point of impact was shifting.
timotheius99

Postby Bmt85 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:48 pm

I had a similar experience. Swapped out scopes on one of my upper's and went shooting. I was chasing the shots around trying to zero it, couldn't figure out why. Then I noticed my brake was clocked wrong. It backed off about a full thread. Checked for bullet strikes and found nothing. Tightened it down and had zero within 3 shots.

Glad you got it figured out.
Bmt85

Postby Tripplebeards » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:20 am

My Ruger American killed one Nikon Because it slid loose and almost wrecked the replacement As it shifted even with rosin added to the rings. The rosin made it easy to see that the scope shifted as it left scrape looking marks with the yellow colored rosin exposed on my optic tube where the rings originally were tightened down. I found out that the rear base screws were loosening up every so many firings causing my scope to come loose and making my POA shift down like yours. I’d start shooting some great groups and all sudden the POA would shift couple inches down just like yours and I’d start shooting tight groups for a few groups and then it would shift down again. It looked like my groups were open in and widening up until I would take the next three shot group and they all would group in a tight little cluster 4 inches lower. I wish I would’ve caught it before my scope kissed the rings and cut a hole through the bell. I should’ve knew it was coming three shots going straight down on my target that measured over a foot. Lesson learned. It’s a very common problem with the Americans from what I read. I Accra glass bedded the base to the action, lock tited the rings, and sprayed three M77 adhesive inside the rings and let it dry before I mounted the scope. I never had a chance to test it because Ruger ended up replacing the gun for another issue with a scout I am currently waiting for and will do the same to it before firing but I’m sure my optic would’ve never moved this time. kind of ridiculous as my 375 and 300 RUM have never had scopes move or come loose. With way more recoil. After doing this I checked my 44 mag anaconda and could see my red dot sight slid loose it it as well so I added three M77 on the inside of the rings. If it’s happening on your scout with the rear factory mounted rings I would put some adhesive in your rings and reinstall your scope.
Tripplebeards

Postby Slayer » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:11 am

This is an old post but i see some guest are reading the post. Hoot has some awesome advice on scope mounting. Theres alot of good info from everyone.
My advice is to always when possible to use the best quality mounts one can afford. Especially for big bore cartridge rifles. When i mount a luepold scope, I use their rings and mounts. The only problem with that is they are pricey. If one doesn't have the tools and skill... a smith should be consulted. Luepold will honor their scopes and hardware a 100% if there is a defect. I have a scope cap heading back now that lost the luepold insignia the first shot out of my 450 bushy.
I found using their mounts to be the best way to eliminate mounting issues. At present I'm using the AR15 30mm cantilever on my rifle. So far zero issues. Hope this helps a bit...
slayer. Burnham, Maine
Slayer

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles