Ruger Gunsite Scout

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Ruger Gunsite Scout

Postby Siringo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:18 pm

This weekend I was in Medicine Lodge,KS and stopped into the "Gun Room at the Grand, LLC". This shop/very old hotel is owned by none other than Major Robert R. Stutler. He was the Vice President of Operations for Ruger and retired a couple of years ago. He was the only person, other than family listed in Bill Ruger Sr's will. The major ended up with with Bill Ruger's 3 favorite firearms (double rifles were his favorites) and the leather couch that the Major and he sat on many times -- discussing whatever. The Major is a very interesting fellow, former Marine, Mercenary (lucrative business and the movie "Charlie Wilson's War" is dead nuts on -- according to the Major).

Anyway, there sits on display is Rugers new Gunsite Scout in 308. I built something like this 20+ years ago when Cooper was heavily promoting the concept. Ended up putting the rifle back into standard configuration, but there sits new rifle -- I kept looking at it. Well, I ended up buying it -- with resultant buyers remorse because I don't have the money --- but condisering who I got in from -- tipped me over the edge.

Well, Wildcatter, contact Ruger and put the bug in their ear to have this thing also chambered for the 450B. Rifle is on Rugers website. Image
Siringo

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:43 pm

I want to come over and pet it.....
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:30 pm

Siringo wrote:
Well, Wildcatter, contact Ruger and put the bug in their ear to have this thing also chambered for the 450B. Rifle is on Rugers website. [ http://i51.tinypic.com/2pyqe8l.jpg ]

I did and they said, hummm..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby bigboreshooter » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:12 pm

I want one also.
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:14 am

Gun Tests Magazine did a review of this rifle against Steyr's version. You may need to be register to read this - http://www.gun-tests.com/issues/23_5/features/Ruger-Gunsite-Scout-Rifle5876-1.html.

Here is their conclusion regarding the Ruger ($995):

Our Team Said: In short, we think the Ruger is the second-best Scout rifle we’ve examined. It has a lot of potential, but because of its slight problems, rough feeding, sharp edges, and excessive weight, we gave the Ruger a grade of B-. Those who think the new Ruger is a close approximation of the Steyr Scout are kidding themselves.

Here is what they said about the Steyr ($2975):

Our Team Said: We very much liked the Steyr and all its features. We gave the rifle a grade of A. We liked the possibility of using the shooting sling, but would much prefer a lighter version of the Ching sling. You can save money over the Steyr packages by installing your own sling and scope (Steyr charges $250 to sight-in the rifle if you have them do it), so you needn’t spend the full amount, unless you must have the Cooper package. Is the cost of the Steyr Scout justified? We thought so, inasmuch as you can’t get a better Scout rifle anywhere for any less money. Jeff Cooper thought so, too.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby TacoTaco » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:34 am

WANTED: This gun, or something similar, chambered in .450LM, and takes M14 Mags.

This would make me very, very happy. How hard would it be to build???
TacoTaco

Postby wildcatter » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:47 pm

TacoTaco wrote:WANTED: This gun, or something similar, chambered in .450LM, and takes M14 Mags.

This would make me very, very happy. How hard would it be to build???

Some money, and send the rifle over here and BINGO, you're ready for the Best Africa can throw at you!

BTW, If it were to shoot those 350-400gr bullets, exclusively, we could match the twist to those bullets. Without doing the math, I'm thinking about a 16t+-..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby kottke_35 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:41 pm

I didn't figure it would take long for WC to chime in on this. ;) If you precede, good luck and keep us posted!

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby TacoTaco » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:07 pm

You guys are killing me. Not sure if I can convince the wife of this....yet. But knowing it's possible makes me very, very interested.
TacoTaco

Return to Bolt Action Rifles