MGM 450bm on the way

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

MGM 450bm on the way

Postby deadeer » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:10 am

I found a barrel in stock at Haus of Arms, so I got it coming. It's a 20" muzzleloader contour with the ramrod thimbles dovetailed in for the stock. Something new they are doing for strength. Really looking forward to getting a new shooter. MGM is top quality and I have never been disappointed.

Will be reporting some new loads with the 250 monoflex as I picked up a mountain of blems recently.

I have an 18" AR that shoots good, but I am constantly worried about jams and have broken 2 stocks now. I never really been in love with my AR's, so they may go down the river and get back to my roots. Encores have always tripped my trigger, and I have faithfully been enjoying them since Y2K.
deadeer

Re: MGM 450bm on the way

Postby plant_one » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:03 am

you broke 2 ar stocks? were you using them as hammers?
plant_one

Postby deadeer » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:05 pm

Nope. Broke the adjuster lever. Sheared them off. I see s lot of guys going to the A2 stock.
deadeer

Postby kottke_35 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:47 pm

Been thinking of picking one up as well. Give us a range report when you can.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby deadeer » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:50 pm

Will definitely report back. Supposed to be here Thurs, so I will get a few rounds thru it over the weekend. Have a couple MGM barrels to my name now. All have been great to work with. This one has 5R rifling. It will be a first for me. Reading up on what the deal is with it, it's kinda neat. In theory, it sounds good. But conventional rifling has been around and always been able to find a workable load, so not expecting anything earth shattering.
deadeer

Postby plant_one » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:44 am

deadeer wrote:Nope. Broke the adjuster lever. Sheared them off. I see s lot of guys going to the A2 stock.

unless they were made from chinese bumper steel that u paid $1.99 for at the fun-and-knife-show... that probably not the stocks fault - but more likely a poorly tuned system (overgased / oversize gas port) running on much too light of a buffer to cause that.

i bet its safe to say that your buffer/bcg was bottoming out in the buffer tube every time you pulled the trigger. it'd almost have to have been to damage the adjuster pin like that, no less twice.

going to the A2 stock gives you an extra couple ounces over the standard carbine (3oz buffer) because of the rifle (5.2oz) length buffer they use to make up for the extra length of the buffer extension.

to counter it.. try throw some weight in the buffer tube - like a H3 (5.4oz) buffer or an all tungsten XH carbine buffer (8.5oz - which is the weight big-bore ar's are recommended to have in them with a 6 position/carbine style stock), or add a CCWS from hoot into your bcg - and i bet you'd have a completely different experience.

you can also up-weight your carbine buffer by replacing the weights with a set of these - just knock the roll pin out, take the steel weights out and replace with all three of these tungsten ones. thats all the difference between a carbine and a H3 is - 3 tungsten weights instead of 3 steel. a H1 = 1 tungsten / 2 steel. H2 = two tungsten / 1steel
https://pur-tungsten.com/product/tungst ... r-weights/

you could also use one of the stocks like the Magpul CTR, ACS or STR, that has a friction based position lock on it to help ease any strain on the adjuster pin. They're more designed to help with stock wiggle during usage and give a really nice feel to an AR in that respect but it sure has to give some extra relief to the adjuster pin too. thats not going to fix a buffer bottoming out on you - but it'll help save your stock anyway.

the other issue is.. if your buffer IS bottoming out enough to destroy stocks like that.. you're also beating up your receiver extension as well as stressing the threads on the lower receiver where the extension goes into. so you're going to want to address that issue either way, for the longevity of your firearm.

not to mention that you'll have a much more enjoyable trigger pulling expierence when that buffer/bcg isnt slamming into your shoulder ever time you squeeze.

hth
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:02 pm

Except for my behind-the-headboard 7.62x39 AR, all my other ones wear either an A2 or A1 stock. Mostly because I have a mental block to a stock that looks like some kind of prosthetic limb. The A1 is nice if you utilize a recoil pad like my 450b does as the pad lengthens the pull more than my physique needs.
Besides, you can put recoil altering "shake weight" apparatuses inside the A1/A2 stocks or just more static weight to balance ones with longer barrels. Balance matters.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:29 pm

Hoot wrote:Except for my behind-the-headboard 7.62x39 AR, all my other ones wear either an A2 or A1 stock. Mostly because I have a mental block to a stock that looks like some kind of prosthetic limb. The A1 is nice if you utilize a recoil pad like my 450b does as the pad lengthens the pull more than my physique needs.
Besides, you can put recoil altering "shake weight" apparatuses inside the A1/A2 stocks or just more static weight to balance ones with longer barrels. Balance matters.

Hoot

i'm all for an to each their own thing... but there in also lies the problem. length of pull.

the a1/a2 is essentially a one size fits all solution. so unless you've got ape arms and need to add a pad to make it fit you, they're often uncomfortable for a lot of shooters. especailly those of us who like to play in the cold temps with heavier than usual gear on.

plus you basically completely eliminate most female/youth shooters. we were helping my friends kids learn to shoot guns. it was their first trip out and he brought up his 22lr. his girls were 9 and 11 at the time, but relatively short statured. so the 10/22 w/ an adult stock was WAY way way to big for either of them.

after a bit of watching them just struggle badly, i went and got my 223, shortened the stock right up... and especially the older one.. she fell in love with it. that little brat went from popping balloons at 25 yds to laying down a 5" group down on the 100 yd board that me and her dad had been shooting at earlier. we thought she suddenly stopped hitting the balloons for some reason... she looked up off the gun, gave us a sh!t eatin grin and said "i'm shooting at YOUR targets" and went back to finish her group. :mrgreen: needless to say he had a super proud dad moment, and i got a good giggle out of it too.
plant_one

Postby coyote wacker » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:26 am

Of all the rifles made AR-15 is one of the easiest to get to run-in in any caliber that fits them. There's not one rifle made that with minimum of tools most anybody can get to run properly. I have built several thousand and have never had a problem with any caliber that fits them.
coyote wacker

Postby deadeer » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:32 pm

The new pipe made it. Will put a few shots thru over the weekend.
deadeer

Next

Return to Bolt Action Rifles