Ruger American Ranch- any long term reviews?

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Ruger American Ranch- any long term reviews?

Postby 07Kingpin » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:06 pm

Now that the RAR in 450 has been out for a while, what do people who are shooting them think?

General impressions, accuracy, how are they holding up?

Any common issues?

What do you like, what would you change?

Thanks, Matt.
07Kingpin

Re: Ruger American Ranch- any long term reviews?

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:08 am

I know few guys with them, no issues, but they shoot maybe a couple boxes of factory ammo a year.
Al in Mi

Postby coyote wacker » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:58 am

For the majority of the hunters [ that shoot a couple round every year to check out the gun for zero ] they are a great investment and work great....for the hard core shooter I sold mine at a large profit and will never look back at it....
I only shot 12 rounds super sonic for 1 bear hunt and shot sub-sonic the rest of the time.....the Ruger 77 I have is a much better rifle....
coyote wacker

Postby 07Kingpin » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:54 pm

Good replies thanks.
07Kingpin

Postby RBDMTJager » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:47 pm

coyote wacker wrote:For the majority of the hunters [ that shoot a couple round every year to check out the gun for zero ] they are a great investment and work great....for the hard core shooter I sold mine at a large profit and will never look back at it....
I only shot 12 rounds super sonic for 1 bear hunt and shot sub-sonic the rest of the time.....the Ruger 77 I have is a much better rifle....

Would you mind sharing which M77 in 450BM you currently own? I am in the market for a 450BM bolt rifle and believe in buy-once-cry-once.
RBDMTJager

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:53 am

I love mine. My family loves to shoot it. Just remember though, if you reload for it, it’s a 1:16” twist so most of our early reloading data (pre-RAR), will need to be re tested starting at lower charges. Most of the original AR data was achieved using the Bushmaster OEM 1:24” twist rate barrels.
When you read range reports here and loading data, ALWAYS pay attention to this detail.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby coyote wacker » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:36 am

RBDMTJager wrote:
coyote wacker wrote:For the majority of the hunters [ that shoot a couple round every year to check out the gun for zero ] they are a great investment and work great....for the hard core shooter I sold mine at a large profit and will never look back at it....

Would you mind sharing which M77 in 450BM you currently own? I am in the market for a 450BM bolt rifle and believe in buy-once-cry-once.

I sent the Ruger 77 down the road and never fired a shot in it....action was as rough as a corn cob and very difficult working it for $1100 I expect much, much better quality rifle....I will not even look at a Ruger 77 Hawkeye now.....
If you buy a new Ruger 77 in 450 BM you will cry about spending good hard earned money on JUNK....
Only good thing I sold it for $2500 .....

Went and bought a Christensen Arms Ridgeline with carbon fiber barrel.....not very happy with it either.....I looked at there web site and many companies selling it trying to find out what the muzzle thread is it listed 1/2"-28 knew that was wrong.....so just ordered it figuring I could live with 5/8"-24 if that was the threads ....ended up getting one at a great price.....
After getting it discovered the threads are 3/4"-28 a odd ball that nobody makes a adapter for the Hybrid suppresser or any other suppresser....its just a odd ball thread why would a manufacture even think of using it when a 3/4"-24 is use by all suppresser and muzzle brake manufactures....I called Christensen Arms they didn't even know what thread size they used on the rifle.....
I cannot even have the threads changed to 5/8"-24 because its a carbon fiber barrel and the barrel nut is to large....if it was turned down the barrel would be trashed....seen it happen to a Browning carbon fiber barrel were the suppresser shot off the gun pulling the treads off.....
Cannot take a Hybrid muzzle cap 5/8"-24 and have it opened up to 3/4"-28 because there not enough metal to do it....
coyote wacker

Postby Hoot » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:43 pm

coyote wacker wrote:...snip...
Cannot take a Hybrid muzzle cap 5/8"-24 and have it opened up to 3/4"-28 because there not enough metal to do it....

I bet you Kelly Driesel of Ross Muzzle Brakes, would make you a 3/4-28 Thread Protector. As far as that goes, maybe inquire about an adapter as well. Tell him your story. Doesn't hurt to ask.

https://www.rossbrakes.com/contact

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby RBDMTJager » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:25 pm

coyote wacker wrote:
RBDMTJager wrote:

I sent the Ruger 77 down the road and never fired a shot in it....action was as rough as a corn cob and very difficult working it for $1100 I expect much, much better quality rifle....I will not even look at a Ruger 77 Hawkeye now.....
If you buy a new Ruger 77 in 450 BM you will cry about spending good hard earned money on JUNK....
Only good thing I sold it for $2500 .....

Went and bought a Christensen Arms Ridgeline with carbon fiber barrel.....not very happy with it either.....I looked at there web site and many companies selling it trying to find out what the muzzle thread is it listed 1/2"-28 knew that was wrong.....so just ordered it figuring I could live with 5/8"-24 if that was the threads ....ended up getting one at a great price.....
After getting it discovered the threads are 3/4"-28 a odd ball that nobody makes a adapter for the Hybrid suppresser or any other suppresser....its just a odd ball thread why would a manufacture even think of using it when a 3/4"-24 is use by all suppresser and muzzle brake manufactures....I called Christensen Arms they didn't even know what thread size they used on the rifle.....
I cannot even have the threads changed to 5/8"-24 because its a carbon fiber barrel and the barrel nut is to large....if it was turned down the barrel would be trashed....seen it happen to a Browning carbon fiber barrel were the suppresser shot off the gun pulling the treads off.....

Thank you for your very well done and informative reply.
So if the Ruger Hawkeeye and RAR and Christenson rifles all had issues (Hawkeeye and CA are both out of my price range especially for a 200-250yrd gun) then what rifles' of acceptable quality under $700 are left chambered in 450BM? May be Bergara?
RBDMTJager

Postby fox400 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:10 am

I have a Bergara HMR and I'm pleased with it. The ONLY complaints I have is it is heavy to carry and with my hand loads, I've had to put a very heavy spring in the mag release to keep my mags from falling out under recoil with only 1 or 2 rounds in the mag. Another one to take a look at is the CVA Cascade. My sister picked one up in 350 Legend and it's a tack driver. I looked at one when I bought my Bergara and it was a hard choice to make between the 2. In hind sight, I would buy the CVA given the choice again only to save on weight and possibly not have the issue with my mags.
fox400

Next

Return to Bolt Action Rifles