Axis build. Should i?

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Axis build. Should i?

Postby Smokinbubba » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:31 am

I Love my bca 18" upper. It has put meat in the freezer the past 3 seasons. Rub is, I am a bolt gun guy at heart. I know everyone is making bolt guns now but I am super cheap.
I have an old pre acutrigger savage axis in 6.5 creed in the safe I bought used for $200 a few years back. I have never shot it and prolly never will. I'm thinking a Rhineland bbl, gauges,and a wrench would be under $200. That's in my price range and I have a nikon glass for the top.
Should I or should I not take on this project? Opinions?? Thx, Bubba
Smokinbubba

Re: Axis build. Should i?

Postby coyote wacker » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:11 pm

Go for it should be no problem selling the 6.5 CM barrel now....that will help pay for the new 450 BM barrel.....
I've been playing with the 450 BM before Michigan made it legal in the Limited Firearm Zone.....I've never fired one round of factory ammo ever....have always used handholds with Cutting Edge Bullets.....
coyote wacker

Postby Smokinbubba » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:54 pm

Barrel ordered.... 1 in 16 twist 18" I figure I can push the 250grn + pills out of it just fine and a bit faster than an auto loader! Need to contact Ross's people for a brake. Have one on my bca upper and like it a lot.
Where can I find headspace gauges? Is Manson the only game in town??
Smokinbubba

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:35 am

PTG might have them, Manson usually has them in stock, and one of the nicest guys you'll ever talk with.

You can also get by with a long and short fired case in a pinch.
Al in Mi

Postby Smokinbubba » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:56 am

I have a lathe and mill so I could fab up a set. I may just rent a set for convenience. Then I could take measurements and fab up a set later.
Smokinbubba

Postby coyote wacker » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:18 am

Very simple to use a cartridge case for head space gauge....when I first build a 450 BM none could be found....or if you have a lathe and a piece of metal make your own....
coyote wacker

Postby s4s4u » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:14 pm

coyote wacker wrote:Very simple to use a cartridge case for head space gauge....when I first build a 450 BM none could be found....or if you have a lathe and a piece of metal make your own....

This ^^^

With the Savage barrel nut it is simple. Stick a couple pieces of celophane tape on the case head of a FL sized case and snug the barrel against it and tighten the nut.
s4s4u

Postby Smokinbubba » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:15 pm

I’m guessing replicate a case out of stainless. Make one max length and one min length and screw the barrel in till it’s in the middle. I saw somewhere the lengths for both go and no-go somewhere. Maybe on the reamer rental page.
Smokinbubba

Postby Smokinbubba » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:12 pm

Anyone fill the butt end of the factory Tupperware with expanding foam to add rigidity? Feels kinda thin. Don’t want to put a Boyd’s on it at this time. Thx, Bubba
Smokinbubba

Postby Hoot » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:33 pm

Smokinbubba wrote:Anyone fill the butt end of the factory Tupperware with expanding foam to add rigidity? Feels kinda thin. Don’t want to put a Boyd’s on it at this time. Thx, Bubba

I filled one for a friend of mine with Fiberglas reinforced Bondo. The additional weight was an added bonus for recoil mitigation.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Next

Return to Bolt Action Rifles