Axis build. Should i?

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Axis build. Should i?

Postby s4s4u » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:39 pm

Smokinbubba wrote:Anyone fill the butt end of the factory Tupperware with expanding foam to add rigidity? Feels kinda thin. Don’t want to put a Boyd’s on it at this time. Thx, Bubba

Not a Savage stock, but I filed the storage cavity of my A2 with POP to add some weight.
s4s4u

Postby Hoot » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:01 pm

s4s4u wrote:
Smokinbubba wrote:Anyone fill the butt end of the factory Tupperware with expanding foam to add rigidity? Feels kinda thin. Don’t want to put a Boyd’s on it at this time. Thx, Bubba

Not a Savage stock, but I filed the storage cavity of my A2 with POP to add some weight.

I can't resist. Did that then qualify it as a popgun? :lol:

I too have filled a couple of A2 stocks and eventually a couple of A1 stocks with fiberglass reinforced bondo. I made the mistake of filling one with clear resin, which after hardening, shrunk just enough to drop out, having made a perfect cast of the inside of the stock. In a couple of them I cast cavities to put reciprocating spring weights in. Believe it or not, they have a positive effect upon recoil that is greater than just the weight. Another story...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:00 am

Smokinbubba wrote:I’m guessing replicate a case out of stainless. Make one max length and one min length and screw the barrel in till it’s in the middle. I saw somewhere the lengths for both go and no-go somewhere. Maybe on the reamer rental page.

I'll measure mine tonight and let you know.
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:01 am

Considering the fact that the difference between most GO and No-Go gauges falls around 5/1000th's of an inch, the tough part is torquing the barrel nut to spec without anything changing during that process. You have to accept that it will change a little and screw in the barrel (a couple thousandth's) longer than GO and hope that after torquing it hasn't gone shorter than GO. I've had problem barrels take a half dozen attempts before getting them to fall into the measurement I like. It's imperative that you remove the ejector, extractor and cocking mechanism from the bolt to afford you the "touch" feeling of when the bolt face engages the gauge. It's a subtle threshold.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Smokinbubba » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:58 am

Awesome AL. Thanks much.
Hoot, I understand this may take a few attempts to get it right. Since I am not a machinist but more like a hobby metal shaver, I'm used to "winging it" to make things work. But I have a set of mic's and not afraid of using them!
As for the stock, I think I will use expanding foam with a couple bars of lead to get the weight up and the balance where I want it. As a youth trap shooting coach I understand the Importance of weight for recoil reduction. I have lots of experience in stock work but it's all been in walnut.
Smokinbubba

Postby coyote wacker » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:07 am

I have used spray foam many times....it works very good....

Just make sure you tape around the end and cover the rest of the stock use a couple clamps or a vise to hold up right that way both hand are ready in case something happens .....foam can expand a lot more than you think and make a real mess....
coyote wacker

Postby Smokinbubba » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:39 am

I have a luthiers vise I use to build custom muzzleloaders. It has 2 large wood jaws that swivel to firmly clamp odd shapes. I can clamp it in upright to create my homemade savage volcano. :D
Smokinbubba

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:13 pm

Gage lengths.

1.700 go, 1.710 no go.

.474 straight diameter
Al in Mi

Postby s4s4u » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:01 pm

Hoot wrote:
s4s4u wrote:

I can't resist. Did that then qualify it as a popgun? :lol:

I too have filled a couple of A2 stocks and eventually a couple of A1 stocks with fiberglass reinforced bondo. I made the mistake of filling one with clear resin, which after hardening, shrunk just enough to drop out, having made a perfect cast of the inside of the stock. In a couple of them I cast cavities to put reciprocating spring weights in. Believe it or not, they have a positive effect upon recoil that is greater than just the weight. Another story...

Hoot

That might catch on, but I was just being lazy. POP = Plaster Of Paris

I lined the cavity with a plastic produce bag so I can undo it if I don't like it.
s4s4u

Postby Smokinbubba » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:26 am

Al in Mi wrote:Gage lengths.

1.700 go, 1.710 no go.

.474 straight diameter

Super. Thx Al !!
Smokinbubba

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles