Axis build. Should i?

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Axis build. Should i?

Postby Smokinbubba » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:59 pm

I finally got my gauge made. It measures 1.706 and the bolt won't close. A factory hor blk loads fine so I think I'm ready to roll.
Smokinbubba

Postby Hoot » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:08 pm

Smokinbubba wrote:https://i.postimg.cc/L61q81G3/20211230-152744.jpg
I finally got my gauge made. It measures 1.706 and the bolt won't close. A factory hor blk loads fine so I think I'm ready to roll.

Nice lathe work!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:13 am

Perfect!
Al in Mi

Postby Smokinbubba » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:00 pm

Well, my Ross brake came today and it is perfect, except it is the wrong thread! This is not the fault of Ross brakes. The Rhineland webpage shows 3/4-24 threads and I just got an email advertisement from them that states “please note we are using the 11/16-24 threads on these new rifles” Well, that would have been good to know before I ordered my Ross brake!! Imagine how pissed I am right now! Thanks for letting me vent. Bubba
Smokinbubba

Postby Hoot » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:41 pm

Smokinbubba wrote:Well, my Ross brake came today and it is perfect, except it is the wrong thread! This is not the fault of Ross brakes. The Rhineland webpage shows 3/4-24 threads and I just got an email advertisement from them that states “please note we are using the 11/16-24 threads on these new rifles” Well, that would have been good to know before I ordered my Ross brake!! Imagine how pissed I am right now! Thanks for letting me vent. Bubba

Rhneland should pay for a new one. Tell Kelly what happened. Maybe he'll throw you one on the house. I know Ross would as I screwed one up once myself.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Smokinbubba » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:08 pm

I would not feel right if Kelly offered to make another for me at no cost. I will send him another 50 to have the right threads made in hopes that Rhineland will make this right. This is no fault of Ross Brakes. He shouldn’t have to loose money from his pocket for others errors. He still has the best brakes on the market for the price point. He has my business for life.
24hrs and no reply from Rhineland. I really hope this ends up positive because I had plans to make other .450’s with Rhineland barrels. If not, I will never look back and publish my experience everywhere I can. Stay tuned.
Smokinbubba

Postby s4s4u » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:19 pm

Smokinbubba wrote:I would not feel right if Kelly offered to make another for me at no cost. I will send him another 50 to have the right threads made in hopes that Rhineland will make this right. This is no fault of Ross Brakes. He shouldn’t have to loose money from his pocket for others errors. He still has the best brakes on the market for the price point. He has my business for life.
24hrs and no reply from Rhineland. I really hope this ends up positive because I had plans to make other .450’s with Rhineland barrels. If not, I will never look back and publish my experience everywhere I can. Stay tuned.

I might be able to make use of that brake if you can't get them to send you a properly threaded barrel. I have a project on the board that could make use of it as I have both a 3/4x24 and 11/16x24 die and can go either way at this point. Keep us posted?

What bum luck, eh. Damn Murphy and his "law"
s4s4u

Postby Smokinbubba » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:28 pm

S4S4U, I will keep you posted sir.
Still have not heard from Rhineland. Today, I added 3/16” steel rods to the fore end and epoxied everything solid including the removable trigger guard. The cheap savage Tupperware is now very solid. Also removed recoil pad, added a mercury recoil reducer, and filled the cavity with expanding foam encapsulating the mercury reducer. Placed the recoil pad back on and let it cure. Mounted the Nikon last night so we are getting very close to test fire time! Will reassemble tomorrow and maybe head to the club... if it warms up! Aging bones don’t like temps in the teens.
Smokinbubba

Postby Hoot » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:16 pm

Smokinbubba wrote:S4S4U, I will keep you posted sir.
Still have not heard from Rhineland. Today, I added 3/16” steel rods to the fore end and epoxied everything solid including the removable trigger guard. The cheap savage Tupperware is now very solid. Also removed recoil pad, added a mercury recoil reducer, and filled the cavity with expanding foam encapsulating the mercury reducer. Placed the recoil pad back on and let it cure. Mounted the Nikon last night so we are getting very close to test fire time! Will reassemble tomorrow and maybe head to the club... if it warms up! Aging bones don’t like temps in the teens.

Not to insult you but you did let the expanding foam completely cure before putting the recoil pad back on right? I've seen that foam split things open as it did the final expansion.
just sayin...

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Smokinbubba » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:54 am

No insult at all. I did not let it cure before I refit the recoil pad as I wanted every nook filled to capacity. I did however babysit it for a few hours as I was also working on my newly acquired Stevens junior and Stevens 1894 at the same time. There is a small square hole in the top of the stock that acted like a relief valve so I should b ok. If not, I have my excuse for a new Boyd’s :D
Smokinbubba

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles