Good cheap scope for RAR

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Good cheap scope for RAR

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:42 pm

More good news. Midway has just put several more Vortex scopes on sale.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby s4s4u » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:56 pm

Smokinbubba wrote:Can someone please explain how the vortex bdc reticle works? I’m a Nikon bdc guy and I use the spot on app to enter my velocity, bc, bullet weight and the app does the calculations and gives me the yardages of the dots on the reticle. Extremely accurate out to 300yds in my experience. How does the vortex bdc do this for all straight wall cartridges that vary in the above mentioned data? And don’t tell me “magic” we are not in Dallas. Thx, Bubba

There are ballistic aps that will compute the drops based on your particular load. Anything else is an educated guess.
s4s4u

Postby Smokinbubba » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:33 am

s4s4u wrote:
Smokinbubba wrote:Can someone please explain how the vortex bdc reticle works? I’m a Nikon bdc guy and I use the spot on app to enter my velocity, bc, bullet weight and the app does the calculations and gives me the yardages of the dots on the reticle. Extremely accurate out to 300yds in my experience. How does the vortex bdc do this for all straight wall cartridges that vary in the above mentioned data? And don’t tell me “magic” we are not in Dallas. Thx, Bubba

There are ballistic aps that will compute the drops based on your particular load. Anything else is an educated guess.

I understand that. But how can vortex say this scope will have the same down range drops using any straight wall cartridge. They are saying the 200yd line on the reticle is the same for the 350l, 450bm,& 45/70g. I’m not buying that...
Smokinbubba

Postby Escape Pod » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:46 am

They say in the video I posted above that they used the average ballistic profile of the 450 Bushmaster. Others would have to compensate.

The thing I’m wondering is which bullet conforms to the average. Will it be dead on with the Hornaday 250gr? If so, a goood enough bullet with an accurate rifle might just be a hunter’s best bet?
Escape Pod

Postby s4s4u » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:59 am

Smokinbubba wrote:
s4s4u wrote:

I understand that. But how can vortex say this scope will have the same down range drops using any straight wall cartridge. They are saying the 200yd line on the reticle is the same for the 350l, 450bm,& 45/70g. I’m not buying that...

All BDC are a compromise anyway so you will have to do the work finding the precise drops for your particular load. Obviously it is more critical with the slow and heavy thumpers than 223. I think they feel it is "close enough", but we know better.
s4s4u

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:05 pm

Smokinbubba wrote:
s4s4u wrote:

I think you have a valid question. And I would be leery of taking that information at face value. I never do. I always chronograph and shoot my load to confirm what they are doing. You should probably do the same thing. I would imagine they are basing their information on the Hornady black or Hornady custom 250 grain FTX.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Smokinbubba » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:02 pm

[/quote]
I think you have a valid question. And I would be leery of taking that information at face value. I never do. I always chronograph and shoot my load to confirm what they are doing. You should probably do the same thing. I would imagine they are basing their information on the Hornady black or Hornady custom 250 grain FTX.[/quote]

Yes sir, the chroni is m best friend. The factory hor blk run 2288 from my upper. I plugged that into the spot on app and it is dead on with my Nikon. The round fellow should come down the chimney tonight with my hor dies, modified case, and 250ftx’s ;) then I can finish up my axis build and start hand loading tomorrow. It will get a Nikon as well. I have one left.
Smokinbubba

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:33 pm

You’re lucky. I love Nikon scopes. But all of my Nikon scopes are already on rifles. And I did not buy any spares. Now you can’t find them anywhere.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Smokinbubba » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:51 pm

That’s kinda why the vortex straight wall peaked my interest. Since Nikon bailed on the scope market, I was looking for a replacement. I have a Nikon on a cva 45/70 that I’m not really super happy with it’s accuracy. (Although I did take a doe last week with it at 175 yds. Put my best friend behind my bushy auto loader so I had to use the back up unit.) Still, might pick up a vortex for the cva so I can put the Nikon on the axis bushy build.
Smokinbubba

Postby Escape Pod » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:16 pm

Here’s another interesting 450BM-specific option. A different, and maybe more straightforward than a fixed BDC approach. If the Vortex doesn’t work out I may spring for this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-VX-Freed ... op?ie=UTF8

Merry Christmas all
Escape Pod

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles