Got to Thinking .......

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Got to Thinking .......

Postby coyote wacker » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:57 am

OK....I got to THINKING today....I have a Winchester 70 CRF in 50 B&M Super Short its built on a WSSM action brass is any Winchester WSM cut to 1.65"....I have loaded and shot 1000's of rounds and know other owners that have them and have done the same....its a great round I know one person there son has even shot a nice bull elephant....
Its a straight wall case but only chambered to use in Winchester 70 CRF WSSM rifles....they hold the case once it is push out of the magazine and still hold until ejected....
I have loaded some of my brass 6 times and are still ready to be fired again...if they need a trim they get one every other firing...every round I've fired has been 60'000 psi or very close...

So my question is the 50 B&M SS in a Winchester 70 CRF does not have a problem with brass getting shorter when being fired other than running at a highter pressure...why is it the 450 Bushmaster has brass get shorter even after 2 firing and will get to short to fire after just a couple times ??? And be useless !
My thoughts are because every rifle built doesn't hold on to the cartridge like a Winchester 70 CRF rifle....every other rifle allows the cartridge to go forward when the firing pin strikes the primer forcing the cartridge to go forward stopping at the end of the chamber....jamming it every time into the lip at the chamber end....

Think about it with a Winchester 70 CRF the bolt holds on to the cartridge very firmly until its ejected....most all other rifles don't and not really held that firmly at all....

Does anybody have a Winchester 70 CRF or a Mauser is my theory true ?
coyote wacker

Re: Got to Thinking .......

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:35 am

when you mentioned that in a pervious post, that spun my wheels up to try it in three of my 450's at some point. A custom 700, a Ruger #1 and my 16" first run Bushey factory upper. Plan is to take 3 new cases for each gun, load them with 38gr Lilgun, CCI 450, and a 250gr FTX at 2.250 OAL. Fire once, full length size, load, fire, repeat, measuring cases as fired and again as resized per gun, then see where they stack up after 5 shots from each. Next test would be some full throttle loads in the 700 and #1.

Now thinking out loud here, do you think the lower 39K max pressure of the 450 has anything to do with case shrinkage?

usually the week between the holidays is my fiddling fun week but wife has other plans to head south, so gonna be a bit before I get around to it.
Al in Mi

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:46 pm

also wondering if brass thickness plays any part??
Al in Mi

Postby coyote wacker » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:55 pm

Really if one of the guys with a Ruger 77 in 450 Bushmaster they would be able to see....
coyote wacker

Return to Bolt Action Rifles