Reloading for a Ruger Gunsite Scout

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Reloading for a Ruger Gunsite Scout

Postby revreed222 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:01 pm

I walked into a small pawn shop/LGS a few weeks back and there sat a really nice Ruger Gunsite Scout in 450BM on consignment. After some haggling and chit chat the GSS followed me home.

I am new to the forum and new to 450BM but I’ve been reloading for 40 years. Many, many pistol and rifle calibers (like 25 different cartridges). I would like to get the most out of the 450BM and have already had some success (sub moa) with some 300 grain SST and Lil Gun. My goal is to reach out to about 500 yds max. In case you ask why? I shoot 45-70 at 1450 fps at that distance with open sights and see no reason that the 450BM won’t do the same with a 300 grain bullet at roughly 1900 fps with a bdc scope. The other reason, it’s fun! Anyone can do 500 yards with a 6.5 or a 300 win mag. I like to do it with a 30-30, 45-70 etc. Ballistic trajectory calculations put it out there as VERY doable. With the 450BM, I will keep you informed on that.

I have spent several days perusing this and some other forums without finding an answer to a few questions on the topic of 450BM. Maybe some one on here could help…

#1). I see most people use Lil Gun, 296/110, a few H4198, but not really any other powders and there are lots in that range. Specifically some of the Alliant powders ‘should be’ useful in a bolt gun. I am thinking of Unique and 2400. I contacted Alliant but it seemed they couldn’t care less about 450BM. And maybe it is a niche market… But I would like to make the best use of a bolt gun as I am not concerned about the cycling of an AR platform. Anyone use some of the other powders in this range of powders? I would definitely be interested in hearing your experiences, good or bad.

2) I would also like to shoot some 230 grain 45acp pull down bullets I have a ton of those but for both Lil Gun and H110, I got misfires/hang fires because of bullet jump. These mic out at .451 after being loaded and pulled. (Truck load of 45acp that went under water in flood waters, given to me) Is the answer a major crimp? I crimped it moderately but no success in shooting. Open to suggestions.

3) I would also be interested in hearing experiences with cast boolets. I tried some 255 grain PC cast and they did ok but I am concerned the 1:16 twist of the Ruger may strip the powder coat. Any experience, thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks! I appreciate the forum!
revreed222

Re: Reloading for a Ruger Gunsite Scout

Postby revreed222 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:02 pm

The warm welcome and helpful responses are appreciated…
revreed222

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:17 pm

Dunno how I missed this.

For those 300gr bullets, H110/296, 300MP, 1680, and CFE BLK would be my picks. Seat those out about .050 off the lands and work up.

For those squibs you were having with the FMJ's, try skipping the expander die for more neck tension. Also a heavier crimp along with a hot primer like a CCI 450 or Remmy 7 1/2.

Texas Sheep Dawg has some data posted somewhere I believe
Al in Mi

Postby plant_one » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:05 pm

look to 1680 for those 300grainers, or shooters world sbr-socom, or even shooters world blackout. those powders seem to like heavy for caliber supersonic loadings.

you should be able to take advantage of the burn characteristics of 1680 at upper end charges - possibly a fair bit above published data - quite well in a bolt action.

obuvously do good safe load developement stuff, read your primers well, etc.... that 1:16 may max out before you would otherwise in a 1:24T barrel.
plant_one

Return to Bolt Action Rifles