Hoot Drank the CoolAid

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Hoot Drank the CoolAid

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:00 am

Well crap. Yeah Hoot, you want to be able to play with a long free bore. Remember when I was loading those 230 Grain FMJ flat points long? So yeah man. Definitely needs a throat to sing with.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:38 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Well crap. Yeah Hoot, you want to be able to play with a long free bore. Remember when I was loading those 230 Grain FMJ flat points long? So yeah man. Definitely needs a throat to sing with.

Dawg;

That was one of the bullets that I measured distance to lands with. They can go out to 2.17 COL, leaving .185 of shank still in the case. About half way between 1/3 and 1/2 caliber. That's not much shank in the case but having them butt up to the rifling, I don't have to worry about them easing out any further. They're not particularly long bullets to start with.

Do you recall what COL yours were seated to and how much powder you used?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby coyote wacker » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:08 am

All I can say is if and when you load non-leaded the l o n g e r you can load the better it will be....

2 years ago I loaded in a Ruger American some 250 gr Cutting Edge bullets Raptors and was very happy when they could be loaded long....they were rolling at 2600 fps and some change and there was still a little room in the pressure department....
coyote wacker

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:13 pm

coyote wacker wrote:All I can say is if and when you load non-leaded the l o n g e r you can load the better it will be....

2 years ago I loaded in a Ruger American some 250 gr Cutting Edge bullets Raptors and was very happy when they could be loaded long....they were rolling at 2600 fps and some change and there was still a little room in the pressure department....

Do you recall the COL?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby coyote wacker » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:11 am

Hoot wrote:
coyote wacker wrote:All I can say is if and when you load non-leaded the l o n g e r you can load the better it will be....

Do you recall the COL?

Hoot

In a Ruger American I loaded the CEB 250 gr Raptor to 2.438" .004" off the rifling....with a pointed tip the bullet is 1.24" long they come from CEB with a round nose I changed them to a pointed....

A different CEB bullet the Handgun 240 gr. Raptors I added a pointed tip to bring the weight to 250 gr.....used them for sub-sonic hunting and shot several bucks with them....never took more than a 70 yrd. shot....they worked great complete penetration worked like they should ....
coyote wacker

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:20 am

Hoot wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Well crap. Yeah Hoot, you want to be able to play with a long free bore. Remember when I was loading those 230 Grain FMJ flat points long? So yeah man. Definitely needs a throat to sing with.

Dawg;

That was one of the bullets that I measured distance to lands with. They can go out to 2.17 COL, leaving .185 of shank still in the case. About half way between 1/3 and 1/2 caliber. That's not much shank in the case but having them butt up to the rifling, I don't have to worry about them easing out any further. They're not particularly long bullets to start with.

Do you recall what COL yours were seated to and how much powder you used?

Hoot

I’ll check my notes.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:36 am

Hoot, buddy had a #1 Ruger the same way, I should've done a chamber cast but he was in a yank so I borrowed a 450 reamer and turned it in by hand. I didn't even feel it cut, so don't know if it was a burr at the case mouth or freebore undersize. Wasn't much on the reamer so thinking the former.
Al in Mi

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:58 am

@ Hoot
I found that data you were asking for here.
Disregard the powdered charges, this was a long time ago when I was experimenting with some crazy pressures.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8633&start=60
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:22 am

Al in Mi wrote:Hoot, buddy had a #1 Ruger the same way, I should've done a chamber cast but he was in a yank so I borrowed a 450 reamer and turned it in by hand. I didn't even feel it cut, so don't know if it was a burr at the case mouth or freebore undersize. Wasn't much on the reamer so thinking the former.

I pondered that as well but I don't know anyone with a 450b reamer that I could borrow.
I've "freshened" up a chamber like that once before. It was a 6XC that was cut with an older revision reamer instead of the proper 6XC-II reamer. In that case, I bought a new PTG reamer and split the cost with another fellow who had the same problem. Actually, I paid 1/3 and he paid 2/3 but got to keep the reamer. Worked great.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:34 pm

I gotta learn to trust my gut more often. It got up to 42 degrees today, so I loaded up 5 rounds using a mild charge and 220 grit lapping compound embedded in the bullets. Wow, did that help! it went from .073 to .133 freebore. In hindsight, the throat cut looks a little rough and my guess was that the bullets were hanging up on the annular rings so often left behind when the throat is cut. Pretty hard to avoid from what I've read but usually smoothed out by shooting lots of bullets down the pipe. The grit just accelerates the process. A patch slid through like butter.The rest of the chamber cut looks good. the throat will smooth out more with a couple of additional treatments.

Its a keeper.

Hoot
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles