Budding bolt rifle project

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Budding bolt rifle project

Postby wvcruffler » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:48 pm

Howdy all,

Love the Springfield project. Here's what I have so far..
2 actions - an older Gew98 sporter in 8x57IS with a dark bore, horrid stock that is begging for new life as a .450B or a 1891 Argentine barreled action with a dark bore. I had been planning a 7x57 project but I have a Florida pig hunting trip coming up sooooo.
Anyway, here's a nice stubby green mountain barrel in the right twist and diameter.
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdet ... d=45-BLANK
I have an excellent mauser gunsmith locally who has built a 9x57, 9.3x62 and 7x57 for me previously. I have a .450 Marlin lever rifle but WHAT FUN WOULD THAT BE! Commercial rifle feh!
Anyway, the thought on the Argie is that the inline mag would make having 3 or so round feed reliably a little easier than would a staggered box like in the Gew 98 (without sig. modifications I think might be necessary).
Anyway, I need a source for reamers, headspace gauges, etc. Help appreciated. 4D and reamerrentals.com don't seem to list this caliber yet.
Oh, stock will come from Richard's Microfit...
Doc van Phil
wvcruffler

Re: Budding bolt rifle project

Postby Hoot » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:19 am

Wow, that sure is a great price! If I could get that threaded for one of my Savage model 12s, for a reasonable price, without waiting a year, I'd be all over it.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:05 pm

wvcruffler wrote:Howdy all,

Love the Springfield project. Here's what I have so far..
2 actions - an older Gew98 sporter in 8x57IS with a dark bore, horrid stock that is begging for new life as a .450B or a 1891 Argentine barreled action with a dark bore. I had been planning a 7x57 project but I have a Florida pig hunting trip coming up sooooo.
Anyway, here's a nice stubby green mountain barrel in the right twist and diameter.
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdet ... d=45-BLANK
I have an excellent mauser gunsmith locally who has built a 9x57, 9.3x62 and 7x57 for me previously. I have a .450 Marlin lever rifle but WHAT FUN WOULD THAT BE! Commercial rifle feh!
Anyway, the thought on the Argie is that the inline mag would make having 3 or so round feed reliably a little easier than would a staggered box like in the Gew 98 (without sig. modifications I think might be necessary).
Anyway, I need a source for reamers, headspace gauges, etc. Help appreciated. 4D and reamerrentals.com don't seem to list this caliber yet.
Oh, stock will come from Richard's Microfit...
Doc van Phil

Welcome to the friendliest and considerate bunch of Cut-Throats on the Web. You'll find them very helpful.

Sounds like a great project. I just picked up a couple of GM barrels in a different caliber myself. With button rifling the first inch or so of barrel, where the button firsts enters the bore, is not usable and is often cutoff and discarded. You do not have to do that, just make that end the chamber area and you'll still have a 20 incher, minus the few thousandths for Crowning, assuming that a 20 incher is whats wanted.

So are you really a Doc, if so, what persuasion, common now, spill the beans, I gotta ache in my elbow, from two much shoot'en, anyways, we've got a number of Doc's here.

So whats a "cruffler", I assume that wv is for West Virginia?

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:47 pm

wildcatter wrote:...snip...

So whats a "cruffler", I assume that wv is for West Virginia?

..t

I assumed he meant he had a C&R License. Any chance you're near Belington/Philippi? My dad's side is from around there. I spent many a day hunting the Monongahela National Forest as a kid. Back when it seemed like every barn was painted by Mail Pouch Tobacco and I bought my .22 shells from the Texaco station. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wvcruffler » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:30 pm

I live in Elkins, which is just a few miles from Belington. I am a family doctor, wound care doc, hospitalist.

I thought the price was pretty primo. AND now 4-D says if place a rental order they will buy a reamer and HS gauges for the caliber. Whohoo!
wvcruffler

Postby pitted bore » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:12 pm

Doc van Phil-

I'm a bit late chiming in on this thread. I tried to reply to your PM just after I received it, but the forum's timer-outer function caught me and deleted 90 minutes of wordsmithing.

I was not aware of the GM barrels before you mentioned them. Thanks for that information.

You may know the following, but I'll post it anyway for other interested persons who may find this thread.

The diameter on the GM barrel is 1". This will limit your options for fitting the barrel on Mauser actions. Some Mauser actions take barrels with threads about 0.98" dia., others about 1.10" dia. Unfortunately, it's not a simple division among models, with large ring actions taking the larger diameter, and small ring actions taking the smaller.

Small ring 93, 94, 95, and 96 actions use the 0.98" threads. The small ring 98a or 98az take the large 1.10" threads. The 98 takes the 1.10" threads. The large ring Turk actions take the smaller diameter.

The Model 91 Argentine Mauser is a bit of an odd-ball, according to de Hass' book Bolt Action Rifles. It takes barrels with a thread diameter of 0.985".

So, if my sources of thread dimensions are correct, the 1" dia. GM barrel can be threaded to fit your Argentine, but not your M98. (It can't fit Hoot's M12 Savage, either.) The small diameter of the barrel will not leave much of a shoulder in front of the action, but the tiny bit should serve to protect the action threads.

I can't predict how well the M91 might feed the 450B cartridges, since I haven't played with an M91 in a long time. My M1903 action with the cartridges staggered in the magazine feeds well with 3 in the magazine, plus 1 in the chamber. It doesn't work well with 4 in the magazine.

For a number of reasons, I won't rent or loan my own reamer. However, I'll let my gunsmith use it and the Manson gauges with no charge on your rifles; you pay his standard chambering price plus return shipping. Send me a PM if this appeals to you.

If your gunsmith is using and recommending the Richard's stocks, that's fine. The experiences of the local smiths have been uneven.

I'll try to answer relevant questions you have now, or as you go along.

Good luck.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Hoot » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:47 am

Boy do I feel silly. Of course my Savages have barrel threads greater than 1". I was so attracted by the price that it didn't register that the barrel was the same diameter from end to end.

Doc, my grandfather worked in the Junior #4 Coal Mine. I remember everyone piling into his '49 F-3 pickup and going to the Forest Festival. The engine overheated and boiled over. He filled a bucket of cold water from the Tygart and when he poured it in the block cracked. We all had to hold buckets of water to stop and pour in on the way home. It was a long ride! I remember worrying that we were going to have to walk. Ah, fond memories....

Hoot
Hoot

Postby wvcruffler » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:01 pm

pitted bore wrote:Doc van Phil-

I'm a bit late chiming in on this thread. I tried to reply to your PM just after I received it, but the forum's timer-outer function caught me and deleted 90 minutes of wordsmithing.

I was not aware of the GM barrels before you mentioned them. Thanks for that information.

You may know the following, but I'll post it anyway for other interested persons who may find this thread.

The diameter on the GM barrel is 1". This will limit your options for fitting the barrel on Mauser actions. Some Mauser actions take barrels with threads about 0.98" dia., others about 1.10" dia. Unfortunately, it's not a simple division among models, with large ring actions taking the larger diameter, and small ring actions taking the smaller."

They do have some Knight Disc 45 take off barrels too 1:20 twist. No intel on the bore, but I would guess closer to .452 than .458 - I sent them an email asking.

"Small ring 93, 94, 95, and 96 actions use the 0.98" threads. The small ring 98a or 98az take the large 1.10" threads. The 98 takes the 1.10" threads. The large ring Turk actions take the smaller diameter."

Yeah, my thought was to use the Argentine. I have a mexican mauser action too but the extractor is missing and I haven't sourced an affordable one yet.

The Model 91 Argentine Mauser is a bit of an odd-ball, according to de Hass' book Bolt Action Rifles. It takes barrels with a thread diameter of 0.985".

Yup. Longer shank too but most good gunsmiths can work around it. I was going to make a .257 Roberts on it but I have a 6.5Jap that falls in that range, so....

So, if my sources of thread dimensions are correct, the 1" dia. GM barrel can be threaded to fit your Argentine, but not your M98. (It can't fit Hoot's M12 Savage, either.) The small diameter of the barrel will not leave much of a shoulder in front of the action, but the tiny bit should serve to protect the action threads.

I can't predict how well the M91 might feed the 450B cartridges, since I haven't played with an M91 in a long time. My M1903 action with the cartridges staggered in the magazine feeds well with 3 in the magazine, plus 1 in the chamber. It doesn't work well with 4 in the magazine.

If you need more than 3 then you might as well have 100 :)

For a number of reasons, I won't rent or loan my own reamer. However, I'll let my gunsmith use it and the Manson gauges with no charge on your rifles; you pay his standard chambering price plus return shipping. Send me a PM if this appeals to you.

I called 4D and they will obtain .450B reamers and gauges if I put down the dough for a rental. They are a great outfit with whom my gunsmith has work before. Thanks for the offer, though I do appreciate it!

If your gunsmith is using and recommending the Richard's stocks, that's fine. The experiences of the local smiths have been uneven.

They are about the only show in town for 91 Argentine. I have 3 stocks from them, a couple from Boyds, and one from Great American. I have a few older from Fajen. I haven't had any bad luck with the Richards - they require a ton of wood removal and shaping but that's the fun part (and part I can do anyway). Plus the designs that have suit me better than Boyds. Suppose everyone has their flavor...

I'll try to answer relevant questions you have now, or as you go along.

I'll need the help! Dr.Phil

Good luck.

--Bob
wvcruffler

Postby wvcruffler » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:14 pm

Barrel received from Green Mountain. It is a big old heavy blank. Looks perfect. Sent email to 4D for rental!

Phil
wvcruffler

Return to Bolt Action Rifles