Rifle project help!

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Rifle project help!

Postby wvcruffler » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:14 pm

Howdy all,
Apologize if this is a double - first one did not appear to go through.
I want to rebarrel one of 2 mauser actions to 450 B
1891 Argentine or Gew 98
The Gew 98 is an old bubba job sporter with a worn 8x57 barrel. the 1891 Argie is just a barreled action. I think the inline mag on the Argie would feed better, the Gew 98 is already D&T.
The barrel I would like to use is this one from Green Mountain
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdet ... d=45-BLANK
should give me well enough barrel to be a rifle and perhaps add a comp to the end?
Richard's Microfit stock planned
So, anyone want to do the chamber work or will let my local gunsmith borrow some reamers? I hate to buy them for one job. Need to get this job on paper so I can take it pig hunting on my trip to FL!
Doc Phil
wvcruffler

Re: Rifle project help!

Postby vz58 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:07 pm

Rent the reamer and headspace gauges from 4d. That is the barrel I used but it is a 16t and I have just read the bullets may come apart with that fast of a twist. I will shoot mine for the first time in under a week. I hope the twist isn't too fast....
vz58

Postby wildcatter » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:57 pm

vz58 wrote:Rent the reamer and headspace gauges from 4d. That is the barrel I used but it is a 16t and I have just read the bullets may come apart with that fast of a twist. I will shoot mine for the first time in under a week. I hope the twist isn't too fast....

Good choice on Barrels, WCV..

I have pushed bullets so hard in a 16t, that they did come apart. On the flip side, Pitted Bore has had good luck. You'll never know unless you try it and if the bullets are going too fast, then slow them down some or use longer/heavier bullets. either way, you've got choices and cures, if you ever do actually have a problem..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby pitted bore » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:10 pm

A couple of times in the last six months I have tried to contact wvcruffler, asking about any progress he made with his bolt rifle project. No replies have come in yet. When last heard from, he was stuck with the problem of trying to get his 1" dia Green Mtn bbl installed on an action that required 1" diameter barrel threads.

vz58 wrote:That is the barrel I used but it is a 16t and I have just read the bullets may come apart with that fast of a twist. I will shoot mine for the first time in under a week. I hope the twist isn't too fast....

vz58-
I assume you're talking about the AK you described last May in the thread Question about 450b pressures?

Based on my experience, I don't think you're going to have any problems with bullets coming apart from a too-quick twist. To get a bullet going fast enough to possibly come apart, light bullets will be needed. The lightest commonly available 451/452 bullets are the 160-grain Barnes and General bullets. These are solid copper and are not likely to come apart at most any achievable speed.

The next lightest would be the 185-grain bullets from numerous makers. I picked the Prvi Partizan jacketed soft points, which were about the cheapest available, and I supposed to be of the weakest construction. The description of my efforts to blow it up by spinning it with high velocity in a 1:16 twist barrel are in this thread: Trying to Blow Up a Bullet

That shooting was with a 20-inch barrel. Really pouring on the coal in another bolt rifle with a 1:24" twist 26" barrel, I've gotten 3000 fps from these without any detectable blowups.

If you have any suggestions about which bullet is most likely to come apart when driven at high rotational velocity, please post them. I'd like to try Wildcatter's trick of getting one to blow up.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby wildcatter » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:45 am

Bobber, in my experience, any of the thinly constructed pistol bullets, made to expand at relatively low velocities, 230gr-HP's or lighter, and in a 16t barrel, should yield the results you desire. My data showed 10-60% deconstruction, either by nothing showing on the paper or Hugh groups. As a mater of fact, late this summer I induced some to start to deconstruct, though they made it to the target, the groups were 4', the barrel was a 24t..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby pitted bore » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:39 am

T-

Are your "deconstructing" bullets made of plated lead like those from Ranier? I think Hoot and others have found that these shed their plating pretty easily. I assume it's caused by a combination of velocity and the lands of the rifling cutting the thin plating.

I've shot a few cast lead bullets at relatively high velocities that made really big groupsl with shots scattered all over the target. These evidently stripped from the rifling at high velocities, but they didn't really disintegrate.

I had assumed the bullets that you observed coming apart were jacketed, not just plated. If you're observing the phenomenon with jacketed bullets, could you share the make and model?

The common 185-grain jacketed bullets are

• Hornady #45100 XTP hollow point
  • Magtech #BU45E hollow point
  • Nosler #44847 hollow point Custom Competition
  • Remington #23946 hollow point Golden Saber
  • Remington #23660 hollow point
  • Remington #22891 FMJ Match Truncated Cone
  • Sierra #8800 hollow point Sports Master
  • Sierra #8810 jacketed Match Tournament Master
  • Speer #4470 hollow point Gold Dot
  • Speer #4473 FMJ Match Semi-Wadcutter
  • Speer #4476 TMJ
I hope you can recall whether your come-apart bullets were one of the above, or perhaps from some other source.

Thanks.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby wvcruffler » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:01 pm

Project nearing completion!
Howdy all,
So, in the interim since my last post my gunsmith had to take time off due to a really bad back. For reminders - the action is an 1891 Argentine with a .452 heavy barrel threaded and fitted with a locking ring, much like a savage. It is D&T for a one piece mount and I plan to use an aim point / red dot style sight. Going to leave the bolt as-is since it wont interfere. The stock is from Richard's Microfit and took 3 months to arrive. It is totally bad ass though - black widow laminate. So, it is now inletted and the shape smoothed up a bit. I should be picking it up next week after he parkerizes it. Currently it is a single shot but I am optimistic a local machine shop can help make the slight adjustments to the internal magazine so that the .450 bushmaster will fit and 'hopefully' feed through the single-stack. When I do pick it up pics will follow. Sorry its been so long, but Steve's been laid up and I told him to shelf my project until he felt better.

Dr.Phil
wvcruffler

Postby pitted bore » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:38 pm

Dr. Phil-
Welcome back.

We're really looking forward to seeing the photos of your rifle, and learning of the shooting results.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Jistuason » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:23 pm

Nicely done. I am sure he will remember this rifle for the rest of his life.

Return to Bolt Action Rifles