Dummy rounds - anyone have any?

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Dummy rounds - anyone have any?

Postby wvcruffler » Wed May 11, 2011 7:40 pm

Howdy all,

Anyone have any used brass or dummy rounds they can spare? My gunsmith is working through the project and he has some questions about the bolt head, headspace gauges, etc that I can't answer and he told me he would need a dummy round (rather than messing with a live round). anyway, thought I'd ask. You can PM me.

Phil
wvcruffler

Re: Dummy rounds - anyone have any?

Postby Hoot » Wed May 11, 2011 9:15 pm

wvcruffler wrote:Howdy all,

Anyone have any used brass or dummy rounds they can spare? My gunsmith is working through the project and he has some questions about the bolt head, headspace gauges, etc that I can't answer and he told me he would need a dummy round (rather than messing with a live round). anyway, thought I'd ask. You can PM me.

Phil

Phil, if you want the dummy rounds to serve as accurate representation of the chamber dimensions, one problem you may encounter is finding any brass that is actually 1.70 inches long. Last three boxes of new brass, all from different lots, had zero cases that were 1.70" long. Most varied between 1.62 and 1.67. If they're just to check functionality, I can make you some. Just send me some fresh ramps in trade. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BD1 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:14 am

if you know just what COAL and bullet he's throating for, I could make you up a dummy or two. I have cut down .284, Hornady factory, and Remington factory brass.

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Hoot » Thu May 12, 2011 12:52 pm

I was only kidding about the ramps...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BD1 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:06 pm

I'm happy for you to send ramps to Hoot, I'll just stay clear of him for a week. Just send the buckwheat pancake flour to me :)
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby wvcruffler » Fri May 13, 2011 7:04 pm

Wow! You guys know your Appalachian culinary treats! I can get some incredible buckwheat flour if you really want some. Ramps are a little bulby right now. Just a hair late. The morel mushrooms are about gone now too. My favorite stuff off my farm is wildflower honey.

Anyway, something made up on factory brass. Would be happy to pay for a couple rounds. There just isn't much available right now. We have the go.no go. this is more for the feeding issues.

Anyhoo, good evening all. And to the SC guy - do you love that wild pig? I killed one in FL couple weeks ago. Freaking amazing.

Hopefully next year the 450B goes with.
wvcruffler

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat May 14, 2011 2:34 pm

OK, in case the rest of the world was wondering:

"The ramp, sometimes called wild leek, is a wild onion native to North America. Though the bulb resembles that of a scallion, the beautiful flat, broad leaves set it apart. According to John Mariani, author of "The Encyclopedia of American Food and Drink," the word ramp comes from "rams," or "ramson," an Elizabethan dialect rendering of the wild garlic. The word is first mentioned in English print in 1530, but was used earlier by English immigrants of the southern Appalachian Mountains.

Ramps grow from South Carolina to Canada, and in many areas they're considered a spring delicacy and even a reason for celebration. West Virginia is well-known for their many festivals and events in celebration of the ramp. The flavor and odor of ramps is usually compared to a combination of onions and garlic, and the garlic odor is particularly strong. Strong enough, in fact, that even ramp-lovers will advise caution. If you sit down to a big meal of ramps, don't be surprised if people continue to keep their distance after a few days have passed!"
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby BD1 » Sat May 14, 2011 2:41 pm

Wild pigs are good eating, with the exception of some of the big boars. I'm particularly fond of the little guys that fit on the grill whole.

We used to go to the Kingwood buckwheat festival breakfast most years when I was working in WV. And I've eaten my share of ramps. If you're from away, no one ever tells you the "secret" of ramps until after dinner :)

I worked in your neck of the woods a fair bit also guiding raft trips on the Tygart river. I worked with a few A-B students on the rivers over the years. We had a terrible tradgedy one Sunday afternoon in the late 70s when four of our guides from A-B were killed in a car wreck on thier way back to Phillipi from a weekend guiding on the Cheat.

BD
BD1

Postby wvcruffler » Sat May 14, 2011 6:03 pm

Interestingly enough - there are 2 variety of ramps here. The red ones are the most common (they have some red coloration between the greens and the bulb) and the white ones. The white ramps lack this bit of reddish coloration and are in general a bit milder. You will breathe, sweat, and fart ramps 2-3 days after eating them, particularly after eating raw ones. We could eat them before class and get sent home from school! I spent many a day fishing for native brook trout - cooking them whole with a stick stuck through them end-to-end over a campfire and raw ramps washed off in the river with the roots bitten off and spit out.

I hope my kids have the fond memories of the outdoors that I do.

Phil

Jim in Houston wrote:OK, in case the rest of the world was wondering:

"The ramp, sometimes called wild leek, is a wild onion native to North America. Though the bulb resembles that of a scallion, the beautiful flat, broad leaves set it apart. According to John Mariani, author of "The Encyclopedia of American Food and Drink," the word ramp comes from "rams," or "ramson," an Elizabethan dialect rendering of the wild garlic. The word is first mentioned in English print in 1530, but was used earlier by English immigrants of the southern Appalachian Mountains.

Ramps grow from South Carolina to Canada, and in many areas they're considered a spring delicacy and even a reason for celebration. West Virginia is well-known for their many festivals and events in celebration of the ramp. The flavor and odor of ramps is usually compared to a combination of onions and garlic, and the garlic odor is particularly strong. Strong enough, in fact, that even ramp-lovers will advise caution. If you sit down to a big meal of ramps, don't be surprised if people continue to keep their distance after a few days have passed!"
wvcruffler

Postby wildcatter » Sun May 15, 2011 5:26 pm

I get beat-up sometimes over my Hy-Jacking Proclivities (which are famous, if not bothersome to some and all too true), but I gotta tell ya, that I've really enjoyed reading all the things we are interested in and this fruit of the Forrest talk vs Dummy Rounds, is really great, to me. I think we take ourselves way too seriously sometimes, cause Dummy Rounds, sounds like Ramps to me..

I've picked leeks for years here in MI (and just love the Roons too), but I guess I've been under the leaves, cause I've never heard them called Ramps, but from now on, that's my new word.. My wife calls to to dinner and I say "Ramps?" and the counter clerk says."that will be $14.95".. and I say "Ramps?" and my dogs no longer run rabbits, cause they are now Ramp-Dogs (don't I wish)..wink My point is, sure we're all about shooting, but you know what? I like these diversions as well..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Next

Return to Bolt Action Rifles