450b Bolt Action Rifle Picture Thread.

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450b Bolt Action Rifle Picture Thread.

Postby Bmt85 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:39 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
Your picture isn't relative to the topic, sir.

He has a picture of a rifle, so it should be relative. Your probably seeing a cropped version that doesn't show it. ;)
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:46 am

Bmt85 wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
Your picture isn't relative to the topic, sir.

He has a picture of a rifle, so it should be relative. Your probably seeing a cropped version that doesn't show it. ;)

Many image hosting services give you the option of resizing the image. My experience has been that 1024x768 in the maximum on the forum, without having to scroll and 800x600 is even better. These high megapixel cameras make for beautiful images, but are way too big for forums. Most of my documenting shots are made with an old Sony 1.2 megapixel camera. Perfect for forums.

That having been said, TSD texted me the image he got on his smart phone and it wasn't the image I saw on my laptop. Not sure how the wires got crossed. Not a big fan of smart phones other than as a phone and texting. :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:42 am

This is what I'm seeing.

IMG_4354.PNG
??
IMG_4354.PNG (219.51 KiB) Viewed 25473 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Bmt85 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:43 pm

That's really weird. I see a rifle, not a video.
Bmt85

Postby Thom28 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:00 pm

Took my Ruger Gunsite 450bm to the range today. I wanted to finish sighting it in. 1 1/4" 5 shot group at 100 yards using factory ammo. Once I finished that, I tried some 300gr Hornady XTP Magnum reloads. I used the Rem 7 1/2 primers and 33.7 gr of H110. I shot them at 100 yards also. They gave me a 1" group but it was about an 1 3/4" low at 100 yards leaving the sight set for the 250gr FTX Hornady ammo.
Debating on using the reloads for hunting vs the factory ammo.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:32 pm

Thom28 wrote:Debating on using the reloads for hunting vs the factory ammo.

Be sure you chrono your reloads and understand how much energy they will retain at your hunting distance, as well as what you are hunting.

The 250 gr FTX looses a lot of energy by the time it has gone 200 yards, so it may not be suitable for anything larger than a deer. The fact that the 300 gr is hitting low at 100 yards indicates to me that it is loosing even more energy and may have a considerably sorter effective range.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Kiwi Greg » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:39 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:

Be sure you chrono your reloads and understand how much energy they will retain at your hunting distance, as well as what you are hunting.

The 250 gr FTX looses a lot of energy by the time it has gone 200 yards, so it may not be suitable for anything larger than a deer. The fact that the 300 gr is hitting low at 100 yards indicates to me that it is loosing even more energy and may have a considerably sorter effective range.

That can easily be barrel harmonics as well
Kiwi Greg

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:06 am

Tom, with that bolt gun you can turn the burners up on her till the recoil becomes a little unfun. There is a good bit of freebore so don't be shy on seating those bullets out.

the 300gr XTP mag is a very stout bullet, I have a couple recovered ones someplace from my smokeless ML days that were driven a good bit faster then the 450B is capable of. I've never been much of a FTX fan for real on hair performance in years past, but have seen some gel test done recently that might sway me to rethink that.
Al in Mi

Postby Thom28 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:05 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:

Jim,
Where I hunt the maximum distance I have to shoot is about 110 yards. The only things available in my area of the state is deer and the occasional coyote.
I am sure this bullet as loaded has more than enough energy to knock either one on their a$$.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:32 pm

Thom28 wrote:
Jim in Houston wrote:

Jim,
Where I hunt the maximum distance I have to shoot is about 110 yards. The only things available in my area of the state is deer and the occasional coyote.
I am sure this bullet as loaded has more than enough energy to knock either one on their a$$.

Indeed it does. As with any round, Shot Placement is the key to any round. And the 450 Bushmaster has a generous amount of energy. So place your shots to do two things... disrupt the CNS and also drain the veins. The 450 Bushmaster will do both with a quickness as long as YOU DO YOUR PART as a marksman.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles