450b Bolt Action Rifle Picture Thread.

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

M91 Argie 450 makes its appearance!

Postby wvcruffler » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:35 pm

Courtesy of Hill's Gun Works http://www.hillsgunworks.biz/
Steve has built several different pieces for me. We left that Green Mountain barrel the original diameter to give it some weight. The stock is from Richard's Microfit and isn't yet finished. Going to use a red dot scope so didn't do anything with the bolt. Decided to go single shot for now and then perhaps later will mod the magazine to hold 3 rounds. It is parkerized. It's not light, but I think a really light gun would be brutal. Going to mount the scope tomorrow and hopefully print some groups early next week. May thanks to fellow list members for some dummy rounds, as they were helpful with some ejection issues.

Whoohoo! Took a while (Steve had an injury that really set him back) but wel, well worth it.

Dr.Phil
wvcruffler

Re: 450b Bolt Action Rifle Picture Thread.

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:05 pm

Nice job on the restoration Phil! If that action could talk, who's to say what stories lie within it. Is there an edge afforded by the 91 over the 98, or simply just what you wanted to use?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wvcruffler » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:57 pm

The only advantage is the inline magazine. It should be simpler to adapt to feeding the 450. We haven't done this yet. Want to make sure it shoots first, then decide if we like how the heavy barrel feels. Still a work in progress but a fun one.
wvcruffler

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:22 pm

wvcruffler wrote:The only advantage is the inline magazine. It should be simpler to adapt to feeding the 450. We haven't done this yet. Want to make sure it shoots first, then decide if we like how the heavy barrel feels. Still a work in progress but a fun one.

Makes perfect sense. I suspect you will appreciate any weight you can bring to the table when shooting the 450b in a bolt action. There was a fellow at the range last week with a lever action 450 Marlin and no recoil pad, nor vest. Got it at an estate sale with a box of ammo and his first time out with it. He was getting mugged, big time and had a mouse on his right cheek. I asked him if he wanted to try my slip-on pad for a few shots, but he proudly declined. His parting comment as he was leaving was something about "Good Trading Stock". I look forward to reading of your experience with the 91. Keep an eye on that receiver ring.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby buckhead » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:32 pm

It would be nice if I could get a barrel for my TC Prohunter in 450
buckhead

Postby wildcatter » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:26 pm

wvcruffler wrote:The only advantage is the inline magazine. It should be simpler to adapt to feeding the 450. We haven't done this yet. Want to make sure it shoots first, then decide if we like how the heavy barrel feels. Still a work in progress but a fun one.

Just a thought. But lighting that barrel, putting on a limb-saver recoil pad, will do wonders and if that's not enough, get a hold of the Gunnut on these pages. I guarantee he'll be able to tame that, light weight, bolt-gun, down..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby gunnut » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:07 pm

You bet! Drill that stock out to 1" x 5" if you can. Sleeve it for now and use a dead mule or edwards recoil reducer. I've got a 1"x5" reducer in the works. If you don't have the room, 7/8" x 4 will' work for the mules or edwards and I can do an 8oz custom and with a LimbSaver, You would be good to go! ;)
gunnut

Postby dogsniper » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:26 am

I have posted these in various threads, but I will put them all together here...

All six of these are 450Bushmaster on the older Savage 110 actions. All McGowen Barrels, 1 in 24 twist, Savage Varmint Contour barrels. They feed like they were meant to, and shoot like a dream. I have one more on my bench I am working on now, that will be a blued action with a stainless fluted barrel. My next one in line is a Model 16, all Stainless short action, and it is also getting a Stainless Fluted barrel.
It's not the size of the Dog in the Fight that matters....It's the amount of Fight in the Dog!
dogsniper

Postby Kiwi Greg » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:59 am

I have already put these up in the reloading section.

Short Action Remington.

T3 Tikka.

12" 1-16 twist barrels for both sub & super loads.

The Rem is 5.96lbs.

I will be building lighters ones on a Rem Model 7 & Kimber 84m.

The clients are very happy with them :)
Kiwi Greg

Postby Kiwi Greg » Sat May 24, 2014 1:35 am

I got my Kimber 84M actioned 450 Bushmaster up & going this morning.

I will probably get the bolt fluted to drop a bit of weight off it, its just under 5lbs as shown, without bipod, but with scope & suppressor.

It recoils a little with the 250 FTXs & shoots the 225 FTX, 170 Lehighs subsonic very nicely too.

I'm very happy with how its turned out.

Terminator Products super lite wooden stock, 12" Vulcan barrel, Kimber 84m action, Leupold VX2 2-7x33 CDS scope with Alumina caps, Talley low rings, SSRNZ suppressor , Black KG Guncoat.
Kiwi Greg

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles