R&D

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: R&D

Postby 2zero6 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:07 pm

CZ and te Thumper! very cool!
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:07 am

:shock: If you're lookin' for a head count... :? I'm in for a Marlin or BLR; or Rem 600/660 ;)
I already own 11 Marlin levers (including 444 & 45-70) and a 308 BLR (2 if I can get one in 358w or 450b) and luv 'um all! 8-)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby wildcatter » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:10 pm

Hey Mikey..Here it is..

Seems Mike has gotten Sticker Shock on the cost of tooling. He wants a tap for our muzzle brake and I bet he got quotes that ranged from $200 to $500 bucks and closer to the $500 usually, for a single tap or die. That's upwards of a Grand$$ for a tap and die, with weeks and weeks or months and months before it could be made. That's why they are call them "SPECIALS".

Indeed Tooling is very expensive. Buuttt, if your not trying to make a tap cut tons of jobs then the cheapie's work just fine.

And this is for all you other guys, just ask, I've been there and done it... whatever it is you're going to do, and can save you TONS of moola$$, so what is your Hearts desire - Oh dear, a Tap you say, or how 'bout a thread die? Well feast your eyes on this. This is called "Reverse Sticker Shock". ..Now, close your mouth, these are indeed the real prices and yes they do work well..t

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/prod ... WT_Import_

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/prod ... WT_Import_

PS.. Keep in mind, look for goodies that have an Automotive application, it'll save you allot of money. Provided you aren't so anal, that you think you just have to have the Cadillac, when it might be better just to walk across the street, get it, I bet you do?

The caveat is that they won't do 30-40 barrels, but if less than five is your goal, well..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:29 pm

Who on earth makes a .444 T.A.T.?
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:20 pm

Hoot wrote:Who on earth makes a .444 T.A.T.?
Hoot

I afraid that I'm at a disadvantage. After 5 pages of Google, the overwhelming consensuses is that your 444tat has to do with Tattoos. Remind me what I know about the 444tat, who, what, where, when..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:47 am

wildcatter wrote:
Hoot wrote:Who on earth makes a .444 T.A.T.?
Hoot

I afraid that I'm at a disadvantage. After 5 pages of Google, the overwhelming consensuses is that your 444tat has to do with Tattoos. Remind me what I know about the 444tat, who, what, where, when..t

Sorry about the ambiguity. Thread Alignment Tool is a device that allows you to accurately register a threading die on the end of a barrel so that the threads aren't skewed relative to the bore. It consists of a section of threaded rod the same as the die threads that is then turned down for a short distance on one end to the minimum dimension of the bore. It is slid snugly into the bore until the threaded part of the rod butts up against the end of the barrel. Then the die is screwed along the rod until it meets the end of the barrel. Once you start the threading action, it guides the die until enough of the barrel has been threaded that the die departs from the guidance of the T.A.T. and proceeds on its own. Admittedly, I assumed a .452 flute yields a .444 land. Midway sells them for a few of the common calibers.
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:45 pm

Hoot wrote:Sorry about the ambiguity. Thread Alignment Tool is a device that allows you to accurately register a threading die on the end of a barrel so that the threads aren't skewed relative to the bore. It consists of a section of threaded rod the same as the die threads that is then turned down for a short distance on one end to the minimum dimension of the bore. It is slid snugly into the bore until the threaded part of the rod butts up against the end of the barrel. Then the die is screwed along the rod until it meets the end of the barrel. Once you start the threading action, it guides the die until enough of the barrel has been threaded that the die departs from the guidance of the T.A.T. and proceeds on its own. Admittedly, I assumed a .452 flute yields a .444 land. Midway sells them for a few of the common calibers.
[ http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Medium/113802.jpg ]
Hoot

Great info!
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Re: Groups

Postby Handgunner » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Well last month I told that I had purchased a Ruger #1 in 450 Bushy. Said I would send in a report on the firearm after getting a chance to shoot it. I had a hip replacement and was finally able to get out. Almost everyone complained about Ruger putting the rifling at 1/10. Here are the results on my Ruger. The bottom three holes on the head are mine at 25yds. The three holes a little higher are my sons. Using a Trijicon 1-4x24 30mm scope with green triangle. This reticle is not for target shooting, but is fantastic in the deer woods. I have used this scope for the last six seasons for deer on my 450 Bushy AR, a Contender 44 Mag and a Contender 45-70. Always loved the Ruger #1 and grabbed one up when I saw them in the 450.
Tried to submit photo about 10 times had to reduce to nothing, hopefully it can be seen.
Enjoy
Attachments
IMG_1583.PNG
IMG_1583.PNG (107.19 KiB) Viewed 14652 times
RETIRED
US ARMY VET. 1966/1968
Deputy Sheriff & Fire Fighter
Life Member NRA/1976
Firearms Enthusiast
Handgunner

Previous

Return to Bolt Action Rifles