Mossberg MVP bolt-action uses AR15 mags

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Mossberg MVP bolt-action uses AR15 mags

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:12 pm

No prob...this might give us another option at lower cost. Once they're hooked on the 450b, then they'll want the AR platform....like I said earlier, this is how dope dealers get customers... :lol:
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:36 am

bigboreshooter wrote: I could see having .223, .300 bo and a .450 barrel since they all use the .223 bolt and mag.

Is the bolt really the same for all calibers?
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:29 am

Jim in Houston wrote:
bigboreshooter wrote: I could see having .223, .300 bo and a .450 barrel since they all use the .223 bolt and mag.

Is the bolt really the same for all calibers?

No, the .450 uses .473 rim bolt, as opposed to the other two which use the .378 rim bolt.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby bigboreshooter » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:15 pm

That is bolt face size correct? And rest of bolt dimensions are same? I'm still learning about all little differences in calibers and generalizations I have read or been taught.
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:22 pm

bigboreshooter wrote:That is bolt face size correct? And rest of bolt dimensions are same? I'm still learning about all little differences in calibers and generalizations I have read or been taught.

I've never seen the MVP bolt, so I can't say what other differences or similarities they exhibit between calibers. In the case of AR15 bolts, some of the ones for the 7.62x39 and .308 rim size calibers boasted as being "beefed up". Obviously, they have to physically fit in the carrier if it is not proprietary. If I'm not mistaken, the 450b bolt fits in a standard carrier. I know the 6.5 Grendel does as well. The .300 OSSM (WSSM) was significantly different, for obvious reasons.

I still regret getting rid of it, but I was not happy with the accuracy of the particular one I had. With all due respect to our beloved thumper, that caliber had the kind of power that truly was amazing in an AR platform. Not that the 450b doesn't, but more like rifle power as opposed to magnum pistol power. Throwing a 150gr 30 caliber bullet at 3025 fps (personal best) is nothing short of amazing to experience from an AR15 platform. Recoil was worse than the 450b, but it responded more positively to a muzzle brake better than the 450b does. Then again a 300 Win Mag benefits from a brake more than a 30-30 does, so no surprise there. Making quality brass was a chore and boy did it beat them up before I added my CCWS to the carrier. I'm getting off on a tangent again. :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:34 am

NOTE FOR WILDCATTER: You still waiting for your MVP order from Mossberg to show up? I would've thought, going on a year and a half, that they could deliver some product!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:42 pm

bigboreshooter wrote:I started saving for one this week. T, let me know final price when u get it figured out and I'll send you my dealers info. Will you ream the barrel out to .450 or put new barrel on? I could see having .223, .300 bo and a .450 barrel since they all use the .223 bolt and mag. I like to be the first one on the block with the new toys. ;) Thanks Commander for doing the leg work.

If you get one, we need the mass/dia of the Varmint version, so that we can bore out the existing barrel.

Prices for me, are changing fast, under the Obama Economy. I now do these for $600 bucks, but for a limited time and for our guys only, I'd do them for $500.00, shipped Freight Collect ( Freight C.O.D.).

For that you get, R&R the Barrel itself, a Cut Rifled Match barrel, Match Crowning, with three different angles (Which is something I do for the Marine Corp Match Shooters and is very expensive, but proven to be the very best.), Barrel Chambering, Correct Head-Spacing, the barrel cut to the correct length (for final dia. safety considerations - in other words, we wont know what the final length is, until we know. We'll have to have the weapon here to determine.), and function fired, 10 million rounds (just to make sure it works), wink..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby bigboreshooter » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:50 pm

I am headed to cabelas Sunday, lets hope they have one.
bigboreshooter

Postby bigboreshooter » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:52 pm

Went tonight no luck :( probably gonna have to order it online.
bigboreshooter

Postby wildcatter » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:57 pm

wildcatter wrote:
bigboreshooter wrote:I started saving for one this week. T, let me know final price when u get it figured out and I'll send you my dealers info. Will you ream the barrel out to .450 or put new barrel on? I could see having .223, .300 bo and a .450 barrel since they all use the .223 bolt and mag. I like to be the first one on the block with the new toys. ;) Thanks Commander for doing the leg work.

If you get one, we need the mass/dia of the Varmint version, so that we can bore out the existing barrel.

Prices for me, are changing fast, under the Obama Economy. I now do these for $600 bucks, but for a limited time and for our guys only, I'd do them for $500.00, shipped Freight Collect ( Freight C.O.D.).

For that you get, R&R the Barrel itself, a Cut Rifled Match barrel, Match Crowning, with three different angles (Which is something I do for the Marine Corp Match Shooters and is very expensive, but proven to be the very best.), Barrel Chambering, Correct Head-Spacing, the barrel cut to the correct length (for final dia. safety considerations - in other words, we wont know what the final length is, until we know. We'll have to have the weapon here to determine.), and function fired, 10 million rounds (just to make sure it works), wink..

..t

I forgot, I'll also open up the Bolt and Extractor..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles