Mossberg MVP bolt-action uses AR15 mags

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Mossberg MVP bolt-action uses AR15 mags

Postby bigboreshooter » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:50 pm

I found an MVP in .223 and put it on layaway. I will have paid off next month and will be ready to ship it to you for evaluation WC. it is the bench rest model with 24" barrel. :D
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby wildcatter » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:03 pm

bigboreshooter wrote:I found an MVP in .223 and put it on layaway. I will have paid off next month and will be ready to ship it to you for evaluation WC. it is the bench rest model with 24" barrel. :D

OUTSTANDING!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby bigboreshooter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:05 pm

I have had the MVP for a couple days now, finally got to play with it today. The bottom lip of the bolt that is hinged picks up the .450 brass no problem considering the BM sits higher in the mag than a .223 would. The round goes half way in and stops without binding, it wants to jump in the hole. Bolt-face is just a smidgen to small to take the BM. I have high hopes right now :D Of course it all depends on what WC has to say about it.
bigboreshooter

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:17 pm

bigboreshooter wrote:I have had the MVP for a couple days now, finally got to play with it today. The bottom lip of the bolt that is hinged picks up the .450 brass no problem considering the BM sits higher in the mag than a .223 would. The round goes half way in and stops without binding, it wants to jump in the hole. Bolt-face is just a smidgen to small to take the BM. I have high hopes right now :D Of course it all depends on what WC has to say about it.

God Go BBS,

Shoot it some so you can appreciate the conversion more. Is the barrel fluted, if it is, it will depend where the fluting stops and if we can get 16"'s out of it or hopefully the fluting isn't too deep. Got to wait and see. Can you post a close-up pic of the barrel? PM me and we'll exchange cell numbers. When we talk, you'll need a tape measure, cleaning rod, and a mic or calipers. Worst case sinerio, is we'll have to build a barrel from scratch, no biggie..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby bigboreshooter » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:46 pm

wildcatter wrote:
bigboreshooter wrote:I have had the MVP for a couple days now, finally got to play with it today. The bottom lip of the bolt that is hinged picks up the .450 brass no problem considering the BM sits higher in the mag than a .223 would. The round goes half way in and stops without binding, it wants to jump in the hole. Bolt-face is just a smidgen to small to take the BM. I have high hopes right now :D Of course it all depends on what WC has to say about it.

God Go BBS,

Shoot it some so you can appreciate the conversion more. Is the barrel fluted, if it is, it will depend where the fluting stops and if we can get 16"'s out of it or hopefully the fluting isn't too deep. Got to wait and see. Can you post a close-up pic of the barrel? PM me and we'll exchange cell numbers. When we talk, you'll need a tape measure, cleaning rod, and a mic or calipers. Worst case sinerio, is we'll have to build a barrel from scratch, no biggie..

..t

I am waiting on some match ammo to shoot it and record some groups before any mods. I was reading some reviews on the MVP and its bolt is the same as mossbergs other bolt actions. I think we swap a bolt in the proper .280 size, no need for flapper, rebarrel in .450 and .300 BO. I will PM you when I get off work.
bigboreshooter

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:35 pm

[quote="bigboreshooter"

...snip...I am waiting on some match ammo to shoot it and record some groups before any mods. I was reading some reviews on the MVP and its bolt is the same as mossbergs other bolt actions. I think we swap a bolt in the proper .280 size, no need for flapper, rebarrel in .450 and .300 BO. I will PM you when I get off work.[/quote]

In the case of my three Savage bolt actions, the bolt face, which is a breeze to change, is not all you need to change going from .223 up to other short action calibers. IIRC, You have to change the entire bolt. It's good to know that Mossberg isn't that way.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby commander faschisto » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:32 pm

They show a new model in their catalog with "medium bull" non-fluted barrel: http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles- ... trol/27755

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles- ... trol/27731
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby bigboreshooter » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:53 pm

commander faschisto wrote:They show a new model in their catalog with "medium bull" non-fluted barrel: http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles- ... trol/27755

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles- ... trol/27731

Nice I want a 16" also just waiting to see if they will make this gun illegal because of magazine and now flashider on new one. Plus I still haven't got to shoot it my three year old is running me ragged these days.
bigboreshooter

Postby bigboreshooter » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:55 pm

The scope is mounted, my mags are loaded, if the stars align I will shoot this rifle Friday.
bigboreshooter

Postby Huklebry » Sat May 16, 2015 3:26 am

And?
Huklebry

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles