new guy needs help

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

new guy needs help

Postby Bwana Bob » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi guys, just another gun nut needing some info, just purchase a 450b black rifle have not yet received it and i am planing to build a bolt action on a Mauser K98
action as a companion rifle (suppressed) now my questions 1. where can i get a reamer(rent or buy) 2.anyone got asubsonic load for a 500 gr bullet.
3. any heavy bullets available 350gr and over.if so where.
yes this is little out of the norm but i love heavy bullets , come from growing up in South Africa.
this duo is going to be use on wild hogs in south georgia and florida, hope some one can help.
i will post pixs of my bolt gun ect. when they dun
Bwana Bob

Re: new guy needs help

Postby wildcatter » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:27 pm

Bwana Bob wrote:Hi guys, just another gun nut needing some info, just purchase a 450b black rifle have not yet received it and i am planing to build a bolt action on a Mauser K98
action as a companion rifle (suppressed) now my questions 1. where can i get a reamer(rent or buy) 2.anyone got asubsonic load for a 500 gr bullet.
3. any heavy bullets available 350gr and over.if so where.
yes this is little out of the norm but i love heavy bullets , come from growing up in South Africa.
this duo is going to be use on wild hogs in south georgia and florida, hope some one can help.
i will post pixs of my bolt gun ect. when they dun

Welcome Bob, good you came on over the the Enlightened-Side.

Dave Manson Reamers (http://www.mansonreamers.com/contact%20us.html) Builds them for me, to my spec, which is now SAMMI Spec, and builds them for Bushy. Tell him or his girl Friday (Dara), Tim LeGendre sends you.

Pitted-Bore has the repository for Bolt Guns shooting the 450.

All manor of bullets from .451" to .458" normally 185gr-700gr. There is a ton of info and help from our great group of guys here, that will help you Draw down .458 to .452, if you need it.

Drawn 500gr Hornadys are easy to get sub-sonic, keep the case as full as is normal (remember light loads can and do Detonate) and use a powder that gives about 1050fps, which allows for a hot day to speed the bullet up a little and still remain sub-sonic..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby lucasphi20 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:15 pm

Bob, I'm not much of a help now, but I purchased the round nose Hornady 500's and intend to make some. I am waiting on my copy of Quickload to get me started. I'll update you when I've tested some loads and put them through the chrony.
“If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.”
General George S. Patton Jr., USA
lucasphi20

Postby pitted bore » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:02 pm

Bwana Bob-

Dave Manson supplied the reamer for my bolt gun. He does superior work.

Please continue to post on this thread as the bolt rifle takes shape. Have you selected a barrel yet?

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Bwana Bob » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:20 pm

Thanks Guys ,
picking up my black gun Wednesday, and will order the reamer soon have not selected the tube yet , may need some held on that front.
will need some help when it come to drawing down bullets have never dun that .attached is a pix from 2 weeks ago ,kill made with 223 black rifle , but had to stop two charges from the mama hogs , 223 with fmj sucks.i will be ready next time!!!
hogly.jpg
hogly.jpg (77.93 KiB) Viewed 18317 times
Bwana Bob

Postby Bwana Bob » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:40 pm

I will try to post progress on the bolt action ,as i go my take a while to build all depends on the tube .
Bwana Bob

Postby thebrassnuckles » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:31 pm

mmm baby baby back ribs. :lol: .
thebrassnuckles

Postby Hoot » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:15 am

Boy, you sure went whole hog on that trip. :lol: I gotta do one of those some day.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Bwana Bob » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:58 pm

anyone,
tell me where to get .452 barrel blanks most of what i can find are .458
Bwana Bob

Postby pitted bore » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:16 pm

Bwana Bob wrote:anyone,
tell me where to get .452 barrel blanks most of what i can find are .458

Bwana Bob-
Since your question is important to any other prospective builders of 450B bolt rilfes, I started a new thread on commercial sources of .451 barrels.
--Bob
pitted bore

Next

Return to Bolt Action Rifles