Barrels for Bolt Action 450B Rifles

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Barrels for Bolt Action 450B Rifles

Postby pitted bore » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:56 pm

Finding a source for a 450B barrel to install on a bolt receiver is not as easy as finding sources for a blank for a.308 Win. Here's a summary of some advice I've given to a couple of posters who have asked about the barrel on my bolt rifle, with some further information.

(I purchased my barrel from Numrich about 21 years ago. They don't have any more of these barrels. I don't know who made it for Numrich.)

Lothar-Walther is one possibility. Email and phone contact info is on the home page at lothar-walther.com. I cannot find a .451" or .452" barrel on their web site. However, according to my gunsmith they stock .451" barrels in normal steel at 1" dia by 23" length, with a 16" twist. They may do a custom twist without a lot of trouble or expense.

My gunsmith has installed a fair number of the L-W barrels, and he recommends spending the extra money to have them turn it to a contour you like, rather than having a smith do the contouring. Their finish is so good on such jobs that he's had to do nothing more than a final polish, which saves the customer $$. His guess is that a barrel will cost about $220. L-W makes good barrels; I've seen several, and their internal finish is very nice.

Another possiblity is McGowen rifle barrels: mcgowenbarrel.com . I've never seen one of their barrels, but some reviews say they're pretty good. They are one of the few manufacturers that list a .451 barrel with either a 24" or 16" twist. Length can be about as long as you'd care to carry. Their web site is flaky on my browser. They might produce a contoured barrel a bit cheaper than the L-W.

Brownell's lists a .451 blank by Shilen, 28" long with a 1-16" twist. As far as I can tell, Shilen doesn't list this barrel on their own web site. Shilen barrels are generally well regarded.

Brownell's also list a .451 blank by Douglas, 27.5" in length, 1-16" twist. Douglas has been making good barrels for a very long time.

There are undoubtedly other sources for .451-.452 rifle barrel blanks. (I suspect Wildcatter knows of some.)

It will be helpful to the 450B community to post sources in addition to the above, and to describe successes and problems in procuring barrels.

--Bob
pitted bore

Re: Barrels for Bolt Action 450B Rifles

Postby wildcatter » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:38 pm

Hey Doc, and all others,

If you can get your barrels off the receiver (AR's or Bolt Guns, etc.) and they are of a under .451" I can grind them out with a blow torch or something (really with Super Match Quality "Cut Rifling"), to any twist rate, and do it for our guys for $300 bucks, less Shipping and Handling. Regularly $500 for the General Public.

So, if you have a 223 or some such AR or any Bolt Gun Barrel, that doesn't make sense any more, that has a Muzzle Dia of at least .680", might have to cut the barrel back some, to get the .680" standard, then I'm your man.

Additional Fee, if I have to take off the barrel and remount and/or chamber work..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby HillBilly » Sat May 08, 2010 2:42 pm

I've had a couple of rebores done but, This one is very interesting...

Tell me more...

This may be an option...

http://www.shilen.com/calibersAndTwists.html

.451 rifle blanks... group buy? :D
If you build it they will come, If I build it... I'll take the damn thing home!
HillBilly

Postby wildcatter » Sat May 08, 2010 8:48 pm

HillBilly wrote:I've had a couple of rebores done but, This one is very interesting...

Tell me more...

This may be an option...

http://www.shilen.com/calibersAndTwists.html

.451 rifle blanks... group buy? :D

Great idea, but unless I don't see correctly, they only offer a 16T for the 451 barrel and that is simply not usable as with even the best of bullets, they will self destruct before getting to the target (say 10-30%) and with HP bullets sometimes none of them will make the target before they blow up and this because of too many RPS.

Maybe they'll do a custom twist??

To tell you more as to what I can do is.. Super, Superior, Match Grade, cut rifling as opposed to the Button Rifling that Shilen does. These are really first rate, totally custom barrels, with a Proven Track Record. These are done one at a time as opposed to the mass production jobs. Coupled with your supplied barrel, say a 223 AR, I can open them up to any caliber and twist you want and hand lap them to boot.

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby HillBilly » Sat May 08, 2010 9:28 pm

1 in 16 would work fine for me. Heavy flat nose fmj/solid cupled with a short bolt rifle and a can for some of the ADC work that I do... Click, whisp, slap, thump and the locals dont even roll over in bed... I take the animals collect my check and the best part... ALL OF MY TIME AND GEAR IS A WRITE OFF...

My jobs suck... :twisted:
HillBilly

Postby Al in Mi » Sun May 09, 2010 2:52 am

Pacnor has a few different twist options

http://www.pac-nor.com/barrels/
Al in Mi

Postby HillBilly » Sun May 09, 2010 7:55 am

Hmm, I've been thinking... I think I have a m98 308 heavy sporter around here somewhere that I have not seen or used in at least 10 years...

This may make a good project... I may have to dig for a while... :lol:
HillBilly

Postby wildcatter » Sun May 09, 2010 9:46 am

HillBilly wrote:1 in 16 would work fine for me. Heavy flat nose fmj/solid cupled with a short bolt rifle and a can for some of the ADC work that I do... Click, whisp, slap, thump and the locals dont even roll over in bed... I take the animals collect my check and the best part... ALL OF MY TIME AND GEAR IS A WRITE OFF...

My jobs suck... :twisted:

HB, though you are having no problems with a 16t, and I too used this twist for years, but I have indeed have seen far too many, not make the target. I would hate to hear about the $10,000 hunt be ruined by such. No, I personally cannot recommend the 16t, unless you are going to slow the bullet speeds..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby pitted bore » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Update on barrel sources from my post in April:

Lothar Walther makes excellent barrels. However, they are not set up to produce the 451 or 452 barrels needed for a 450B project.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby dogsniper » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:28 am

On the bolt action picture thread I commented to Pitted Bore asking some questions and realized later that this thread maybe was a better place for that. Sorry about that...I'm new here.

I also am planning to build a bolt action and have located a barrel with a 1:20 twist. Any thoughts on if this twist will work for the 250 or 275gn bullets? I can get this barrel from the Montana Rifleman. Upon contacting them I found that the company "split" a few years ago, and now is TWO companies. ONE only supplies the barreled actions, the other supplies only barrels "in the white". I have only built one other rifle, and I used a different barrel company for that one (completely different caliber) and that company does NOT offer barrels for .452 caliber. Any one have any experience with the Montana barrels? wildcatter do you think this a 1:20 twist rate is sufficient?
It's not the size of the Dog in the Fight that matters....It's the amount of Fight in the Dog!
dogsniper

Next

Return to Bolt Action Rifles