Barrels for Bolt Action 450B Rifles

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Barrels for Bolt Action 450B Rifles

Postby wildcatter » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:14 am

dogsniper wrote:On the bolt action picture thread I commented to Pitted Bore asking some questions and realized later that this thread maybe was a better place for that. Sorry about that...I'm new here.

I also am planning to build a bolt action and have located a barrel with a 1:20 twist. Any thoughts on if this twist will work for the 250 or 275gn bullets? I can get this barrel from the Montana Rifleman. Upon contacting them I found that the company "split" a few years ago, and now is TWO companies. ONE only supplies the barreled actions, the other supplies only barrels "in the white". I have only built one other rifle, and I used a different barrel company for that one (completely different caliber) and that company does NOT offer barrels for .452 caliber. Any one have any experience with the Montana barrels? wildcatter do you think this a 1:20 twist rate is sufficient?

Yuppers, you shouldn't have any real problems with a 20t barrel, just stay away from light speeds and go for it. Are those barrels finished contoured and ready to go or what else needs to be done to them and what are the lengths? What's their price ticket?
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby dogsniper » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:03 am

Wildcatter,

Because this will be a hunting rifle, I like to use Stainless Steel barrels on the rifles I have or plan to have built. This also saves me some time and I can avoid a blue job that may or may not match the existing action. The barrels I spoke of from Montana Rifleman in Stainless Steel are contoured only, and would have to be chambered and have the barrel threads cut (probably pretty standard for those of you that do this yourselves). They are listed at $275. Their website does NOT show this 1:20 twist listed, but when I spoke with Shane from Montana Rifleman he told me he could make one with this twist. After reading some of the other posts I went to Pac-Nor, and they list a 1:22" twist, and a contoured SS barrel from them is $260. Also, Pac-Nor offers install on actions for $300 (I supply the reamer) and they offer fluting of the barrels. This is just something I think looks cool. Had it done on the 25-06 I built a few years ago...not necessary I know, but it looks awesome and does help with the cooling I suppose. And lets face it, necessary isn't really part of this build anyway...my Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC with hand loads just dropped two more does this past weekend, so building this rifle is just cause I want to!
It's not the size of the Dog in the Fight that matters....It's the amount of Fight in the Dog!
dogsniper

Postby wildcatter » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:38 pm

I think you have things well in hand, my friend..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Previous

Return to Bolt Action Rifles