R&D

T/C Encore in 450b anyone?

Moderator: MudBug

Re: R&D

Postby wildcatter » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:13 pm

Ok, there's some Renegades around here that can help on this one..

I need someone with a 444 Marlin to see if our round fits the mag tube nicely, as in not snuggly..

I really don't want to rebarrel a 45-70 and of course that tube will work wonderfully. If the 444 tube will suffice then I'll just open the barrel to some custom twist. Of course at that point I could always put on a 45-70 mag-tube. I suspect that the 444&450marlins have the same tube. Just trying to keep things simple in an R&D gun.

Speaking of twist, I'm on a quest to find out what twist starts to destabilize the factory 450b fodder, when the groups start to open up to say 2.5" moa consistently, then I will call it quits, that'll be the twist for the kill bullet in a +P loading (2600fps+- at this point, also with about a 2.5moa, with a 257gr pill). The +P+ loading will have a twist that gives our normal accuracy and better, but probably won't stabilize the factory fodder short of say 5moa, so you might not want to use the factory stuff in that twist, unless of course minute of grizzle is ok, which is the trade off for those want the most out of the power curve (3000+- fps).

Here in lies the problem, I can get the speeds, but because of the 25t barrel the accuracy goes to curd, hence, what is the twist that will give "Exceptable" accuracy with the factory loading and the killer at the +P loading. The +P+ loading will need a totally custom twist, to-be-determined.

That's the kill bullet update, but what I really need is that 444 intel..Thanks Guys
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:03 pm

I just ran 4 rds of 450b into and through my model 444S with NO problems... plenty of room and just the right capacity! The tube O.D. is .650". My son has my 45-70 Marlin so I'm not sure if the tube is the same!
Last edited by MOUNTIN DU on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:08 pm

I can't get a 45-70 through the loading gate of the 444S; but with a rim dia. of .600" on the 45-70 case and a tube O.D. of .650" on the 444S's tube... it's probably going to be a bigger tube on the 45-70. Both guns are early vintage... if it matters.
MOUNTIN DU

Postby wildcatter » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:00 pm

MOUNTIN DU wrote:I just ran 4 rds of 450b into and through my model 444S with NO problems... plenty of room and just the right capacity! The tube O.D. is .650". My son has my 45-70 Marlin so I'm not sure if the tube is the same!

You're the Greatest DU,

Now what model 444 do I want to convert, barrel length, stock, etc. Ok you guys, what makes sense, especially if eventually it's going griz hunting around salt water? My thoughts are some kind of stainless carbine with a laminated epoxy stock, a.k.a. water-proof? But hey, I've only had a love affair for afar with no serious experience with a lever gun. So if I were to make only one model, what would be the ultimate? Basically the best All Arounder, kind-of-thing..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:49 pm

Marlin is about the only option going these days, unless you struck gold on a Winchester.
Al in Mi

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:15 pm

wildcatter wrote:I've got some real Dewsies coming for this forum. For now I'll wet your appetite a little. How about a 450b in a totally modern Double Action that will operate in the 60,000psi+ range? Humm..

Safety First..t

:shock: How about a Taurus "Judge" with the cylinder modified to headspace on the mouth rim? ...or half moon clips? Talk about a nasty "carry" gun :twisted:
MOUNTIN DU

Postby 2zero6 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:57 pm

Hey Wildcatter, I was just thinking to myself again about how nice it would be to have the .450 in an AR style pistol as well as a SBR. Would having a barrel that short in this cartridge work on an AR pistol? If so, do you know of anyone selling them? I would hate to have to buy a barrel from Bushy just to take it to the local shop and pay them to cut, re-crown, and re-thread the muzzle.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby 2zero6 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:44 pm

Well after a short search it seems Ballistic Advantage is making barrels for us in customer defined lengths and even doing matched barrel and bolt sets.

http://www.ballisticadvantagellc.com/450Bushmaster.php
Darn it there goes the car mod money from next payday.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
2zero6

Postby 2zero6 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:49 pm

Here is my correspondence with Adam Wainio at Ballistic Advantage, LLC:

AJ,

We can provide the requested barrel for $245 parkerized or $265 IonBonded. The 450 Bushmaster uses an oddball thread of 11/16 X 24 tpi. The Izzy flash hider from Bushmaster is the only muzzle device that I know of with this thread. Do you have a different thread in mind?

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Adam Wainio
Ballistic Advantage, LLC
http://www.ballisticadvantagellc.com
407-739-7664

A.J wrote:
How much would it cost for a .450 thumper barrel for the AR-15 in a 10.5 inch long carbine length gas system with threading for a flash hider/muzzle brake?

Cool thing is they can do any thread so it will also open up some options on brakes and flash hiders. Just wanted to pass on the info in case anyonelse is interested.
2zero6

Postby MudBug » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:48 pm

Oh crap, a 10.5" would be a hoot.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols