.450 Bushmaster AR pistol

T/C Encore in 450b anyone?

Moderator: MudBug

.450 Bushmaster AR pistol

Postby 2zero6 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:46 pm

Ok well since SBR's are a no no here in this state the 10.5: Barrel that should arrive in the next 4-8 weeks will be a pistol project. One thing I know I will need is a heavy buffer. Do they make 5+ oz for a pistol tube? Will the gas port need to be enlarged? I am gonna have to read the muzzle break threads in depth to figure out taming the recoil issue so thoughts on that are welcome as well. Anyone know of anyone else that has done a .450 bushmaster AR pistol or SBR that might be able to give me a couple of pointers or am I the first? Hopefully I will have some pics of it around the beginning of August with a 40-45 round drum attached to it. Now that would be a great CQB setup. :o
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Re: .450 Bushmaster AR pistol

Postby wildcatter » Sun May 30, 2010 2:25 am

Any of the already established Buffer Systems should work or can be made to work, I'd just as soon use the GI stuff. Assuming the barrel maker did not drill a gas port, or better yet, have them either drill a overly small port or just dimple the the barrel so you can use that area as a drill guide for drilling your own custom hole. If they did drill a port you need to ascertain the size, if it's too big, then other problems will have to be over-come, hopefully they did it undersized, the gun will short stroke if they did, and that's a good thing, it'll allow you to custom adjust the system.

To adjust your buffer system, get a complete set of Numbered Drills, they are about $35+- and choosing a very small drill, make the hole, shoot for effect, notice the short stroke, then increasing the hole size, one drill at a time, getting bigger each time you accomplish the task. Only fire one round and USE the magazine, because when the bolt finally holds open, then, my rule of thumb is to go 4 drill sizes bigger, to allow for dirt and crud to build up and still function the weapon..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby 2zero6 » Sun May 30, 2010 10:42 am

I believe it will be drilled for a normal carbine length hole diameter I'll have to call on Tuesday and ask if he can do an undersize hole or just a dimple. Thanks again Wildcatter.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
2zero6

Postby wildcatter » Mon May 31, 2010 11:22 pm

2zero6 wrote:I believe it will be drilled for a normal carbine length hole diameter I'll have to call on Tuesday and ask if he can do an undersize hole or just a dimple. Thanks again Wildcatter.

Yup, I hope you can head them off at the pass, if not we can deal with that too. If you can, I'll walk you through the process on the phone. You're in uncharted waters, we have made many shorties, but you have some special loading requirements and I will certainly get you thinking like an unpolluted engineer and up and running in no time, then you'll totally understand what's involved and be able to help another. Your posts will be exciting for all..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby thebrassnuckles » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:38 am

T...A...G...

I am very interested in this build. :twisted:
thebrassnuckles

Postby 2zero6 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:01 am

wildcatter wrote:
2zero6 wrote:I believe it will be drilled for a normal carbine length hole diameter I'll have to call on Tuesday and ask if he can do an undersize hole or just a dimple. Thanks again Wildcatter.

Yup, I hope you can head them off at the pass, if not we can deal with that too. If you can, I'll walk you through the process on the phone. You're in uncharted waters, we have made many shorties, but you have some special loading requirements and I will certainly get you thinking like an unpolluted engineer and up and running in no time, then you'll totally understand what's involved and be able to help another. Your posts will be exciting for all..t

Talked to Adam today and it will just be a dimple so I can customize the timing. By the way, when I had him on the phone last week, he said he had been on the phone with you recently. You wouldn't happen to be keeping a secret project from us now would you? He did say you are a great guy.
2zero6

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:51 pm

2zero6 wrote:
wildcatter wrote:

Talked to Adam today and it will just be a dimple so I can customize the timing. By the way, when I had him on the phone last week, he said he had been on the phone with you recently. You wouldn't happen to be keeping a secret project from us now would you? He did say you are a great guy.

YEAH!!!! I was worried that we'd have to play patty-cake if they had drilled the hole. Now I don't want you to sweat anything, we're going to walk you through the process and then .."You Too Will Be Numbered Among The Fo-Real, Root'en-Toot'en Gun Hacks"..lol

PS.. 'bout dem pro-jecks, ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies, sides, if'n I told you, the Mudder would have to spread BBQ sauce on ya, fo duh grill...lol
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby 2zero6 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:45 pm

Tim (hopefully we are on a first name basis by now), I am trying to find an appropriate drill set for the gas port. Do you have a link to the one previously mentioned. So far one of the sets I saw has:

(5)0.5mm 0.020"
(5)0.6mm 0.023"
(5)0.8mm 0.031"
(3)1.0mm 0.039"
(2)1.2mm 0.047"
(2)1.5mm 0.059"
(2)1.8mm 0.071"
(2)2.0mm 0.079"
(2)2.35mm 0.093"
(2)3.0mm 0.118"

Priced around $10, am I on the right track :?: Can't wait to get this beast done for reason #1, my own shooting/building pleasure, but also reason #2, getting proper build details/specs shared with the rest of you gentlemen so all the guess work is done for this barrel length. That way others can feel as excited as I am. I feel like when I was 7 years old waiting on Christmas morning after my Mom let slip that Dad bought me a Red Ryder BB gun as a Christmas present. :D
2zero6

Postby wildcatter » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:44 am

2zero6 wrote:Tim (hopefully we are on a first name basis by now), I am trying to find an appropriate drill set for the gas port. Do you have a link to the one previously mentioned. So far one of the sets I saw has:

(5)0.5mm 0.020"
(5)0.6mm 0.023"
(5)0.8mm 0.031"
(3)1.0mm 0.039"
(2)1.2mm 0.047"
(2)1.5mm 0.059"
(2)1.8mm 0.071"
(2)2.0mm 0.079"
(2)2.35mm 0.093"
(2)3.0mm 0.118"

Priced around $10, am I on the right track :?: Can't wait to get this beast done for reason #1, my own shooting/building pleasure, but also reason #2, getting proper build details/specs shared with the rest of you gentlemen so all the guess work is done for this barrel length. That way others can feel as excited as I am. I feel like when I was 7 years old waiting on Christmas morning after my Mom let slip that Dad bought me a Red Ryder BB gun as a Christmas present. :D

Shore, call me Tim, my close friends call me "T" and my most closest friends, irreverently, but playfully, call me The Timinator, can't seem to shake that one.

No, don't go with the metric's go with this (http://www.harborfreight.com/60-piece-t ... 34627.html), it's a bunch of drills, but then you need them anyway and they are stepped just right for gun work.

Hey, I'm excited too, Santa's on his way. I can't wait to hear about all the Terrorists that are going to bite the dust, from your work..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:32 am

I drill a lot. I have bought china charlie bits at very reasonable prices. They are fine for wood, plastic and soft metals, but not steel. One hole and it's off to the Drill Doctor for resharpening. Do yourself a favor and even if it means only buying the bits onesey, twosey, as you need them. Buy real M42 Cobalt bits. Not those fakey Cobalt coated bits either. Used at the right speed for the job and with some oil, they'll go a lot longer before you'll need to resharpen them.

If I put all the cheap bits I bought in my life in a syrup bucket, I couldn't lift it with one hand. Buy right the first time.

Learn and benefit from my mistakes.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Next

Return to Pistols