450b case gauge

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

450b case gauge

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:47 pm

Handy little item for checking COL...probably also works for case mouth crimp "thunk test" with loaded rounds, I would guess... (?)

http://www.bangitammo.com/store/#!/Blac ... y=24722013
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Re: 450b case gauge

Postby earlwb » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:52 pm

I was interested in buying one myself. But their online store seems to be messed up. When you go to add it to the shopping cart it makes you choose the $5.99 USPS shipping option. That isn't a problem for me of course. But when you go to checkout it suddenly adds a $16.95 UPS shipping fee to the total from before too. I emailed them about it, as I didn't buy it when they double charge for shipping like that.
earlwb

Postby earlwb » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:37 pm

That was quick. I didn't expect them to respond so quickly. But they corrected the problem with their online store and it is working correctly now.
Anyway, I ordered one of the 450 Bushmaster cartridge checker gauges. These types of gauges are quite handy and useful to have.
earlwb

Postby earlwb » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:02 am

I got in my ammo checker from them and it is a really nice one too. They did a really good job making it. I like the deep knurling on it to make it more non-slip too. It works too. No complaints at all. Here are some pics of it along with my beat up dummy round I use for testing.

earlwb

Postby plant_one » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:12 am

from someone who owns a fair selection of ammo gauges, i'd suggest you plunk down the few extra $$ and get the Sheridan engineering style slotted one from Tromix.

plunk gauges are cool and all, but they dont help you diagnose your problem if you have a failure. they're just a yes/no tester - a true one trick pony.

having a cutout gauge allows you to see where your fail point is - where the casing is binding against the inside of the gauge (chamber) - so you know here to focus to correct it.

If you have to diagnose one bad run of ammo, even if its just a few rounds, i can pretty much guarantee you that you're going to thank yourself for spending that extra $10 - i know i have!

as a side note - just because ammo fails a plunk test in one of these style gauges, doesnt necessarily mean its going to fail in YOUR chamber. the Sheridan gauges are cut to SAAMI minimum chamber spec. which means if it passes that gauge, it'll chamber in any firearm that meets at least that minimum saami dimensions. often our guns are cut quite a bit more generous than SAAMI minimum - but still within the accepted min/max tolerance range. however its still a good idea to check if you have a fail to see where the issue is and then do a chamber plunk test as well.
plant_one

Postby earlwb » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:39 pm

I do like their 450 Bushmaster gauge with the slot in it at Tromix. I will get one when I remember to call them up during the day as they don't have a webstore yet.
earlwb

Postby mcb » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:17 am

I bought one a few weeks ago. Friendly person on the other end of the line took good care of me. The gauge has worked well so far.
mcb

Postby mcb » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:21 am

Just because the thread needs more images. My hunting ammo for this year. I had twelve bullets left from the first two boxes I bought to work up my load and then loaded an additional full box. If I can't put venison in the freezer with this much ammo then I guess I am destine to starve to death. :lol:

ETA: sorry about this I thought I had posted this post in my thread on the Barnes 200gr PBX and 275gr TSX... Not sure how I screwed that up...
Last edited by mcb on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcb

Postby earlwb » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:14 pm

Yeah I have been loading up a batch of 450 Bushmaster ammo for some pig hunting later too. I have loaded up 150 rounds to use for practice and hunting. If I need that much I might be in trouble.

earlwb

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:18 am

I would dare to say some pigs are in trouble. :lol:
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b