Hornady factory 250 FTX crimp dimensions

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Hornady factory 250 FTX crimp dimensions

Postby msd4141 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:14 pm

Hey everyone,
I'm new to reloading the 450B, but I reload other calibers. I'm going to be reloading for an AR rifle. I just bought the Hornady 4 die set for the 450B. I have new Hornady brass, and I have reloaded 50 rounds all with the Hornady 250 FTX. I have not crimped any of the rounds yet. I used the seating die turned out far enough that the crimper was not hitting the brass. I like to crimp in a separate step. While measuring the factory ammo for a comparison, I noticed the factory ammo does not have much of a crimp. I have my calipers right on the edge to where they almost keep coming off the taper when I measure, and I come up with .475 inches. when I measure my reloads I come up with .480 inches (no crimp mind you).I barely opened the case mouth before loading powder and bullet. Is .005 normal before crimping ?
I'm also wondering, with the Hornady 4 die set, is the extra die the factory taper crimp die? What type of crimp is built into the seating die? This is the first seating die I have with a sliding sleeve inside to guide the bullet.
I have worked up 5 different loads incrementally increasing the charge with Lil Gun. I started with 34g and stopped at 36.5g using 250 FTX and rem 7 1/2 with a COAL of 2.25
I guess I'm looking for guidance with these Hornady dies. Do I use the separate die and just crimp the .005 difference? or do I use the seating die cto crimp with the seating stem backed out? Hopefully I did not make this to confusing, Lol
Thanks MSD4141
msd4141

Re: Hornady factory 250 FTX crimp dimensions

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:50 pm

First. Don’t use the seating die to Crimp. There is a taper crimp die in the box of Hornady dies. It should be a 4 die set.
I usually apply a 0.474-0.475 crimp on my handloaded FTXs. My last group however, I had to apply a LeGendre Side Crimp.
(Bullet jump in my AR).
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby msd4141 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:04 am

I figured the fourth die was a taper crimp die. I wonder why Hornady includes the crimp in with the seating die. I read about reloading, and almost everything I read, people say to crimp separate. I reload for my 454 Casull, and heavy roll crimp in a separate step.
I have never shot a bushmaster round in any rifle. I am in the process of building an AR upper, and awaiting the parts. I guess it must kick some if you are getting bullet jump. When I reload my 223 rounds, I don't even crimp them, just the neck tension seems to be enough.
msd4141

Postby MOOSE EARS » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:48 am

The crimp on 450BM loads is not to prevent bullet jump as much as it is for more efficient powder ignition and burn
MOOSE EARS

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:30 am

I believe the seating die is from a pistol cartridge, so it uses a roll crimp. Not what you want in the 450B, where it headspaces off the case mouth. That's why they include a separate crimp die, which is a taper crimp. Also, in the 450B the crimp does help with both bullet hold and helping with powder ignition, but with the recoil and weight of the bullets used, the crimp sometimes still isn't enough to hold. That's when you can apply a Stab crimp, which will also affect powder burn rate.
Bmt85

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:56 pm

msd4141 wrote:I figured the fourth die was a taper crimp die. I wonder why Hornady includes the crimp in with the seating die. I read about reloading, and almost everything I read, people say to crimp separate. I reload for my 454 Casull, and heavy roll crimp in a separate step.
I have never shot a bushmaster round in any rifle. I am in the process of building an AR upper, and awaiting the parts. I guess it must kick some if you are getting bullet jump. When I reload my 223 rounds, I don't even crimp them, just the neck tension seems to be enough.

Bullet jump is primarily from being chambered from the top of the magazine when you cycle the charging handle to chamber the round. Doing this repeatedly on the same bullet slams the bullet into the chamber. I just got lazy. Buts fine. A light LeGendre Side Crimp doesn’t hurt them. With a bolt action, it won’t even happen.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:58 am

Bmt85 wrote:I believe the seating die is from a pistol cartridge, so it uses a roll crimp. Not what you want in the 450B, where it headspaces off the case mouth. That's why they include a separate crimp die, which is a taper crimp. Also, in the 450B the crimp does help with both bullet hold and helping with powder ignition, but with the recoil and weight of the bullets used, the crimp sometimes still isn't enough to hold. That's when you can apply a Stab crimp, which will also affect powder burn rate.

BMT is correct, the sliding sleeve in my 450 seater die is identical to the sliding sleeve in my 460 S&W die set, both have a built in roll crimp which you won't use on the 450.

Sounds like you set that seater die right, now just give them a good taper crimp. I run mine .474 in both the AR and bolt guns, never had a bullet jump in the AR even after 5-6 tries with the carrier slamming it home.
Al in Mi

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:31 pm

What they said. 0.474 seems to be "the" crimp dimension to use, as stated its mainly to keep the boolit in place to let the powder charge get cooking. Also be sure that the inside of the cartridge neck is totally shiny clean...again, needed for a good grip on the boolit. Tumbling cases with SS pins seems to be good for that with the 450b.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby 45r » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Put a factory round in an impact puller and see how easy it is to get the bullet to move forward.
They shoot accurately but I use a side crimp .100 from the top of the mouth set at .470 depth after seeing how easily they slide.
I get higher velocity with lower ES and cleaner burn with the side crimp.
I taper crimp at .474 after the side crimp.
Probably isn't needed for most but I like knowing the bullet isn't going to move.
45r

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:53 am

45r wrote:Put a factory round in an impact puller and see how easy it is to get the bullet to move forward.
They shoot accurately but I use a side crimp .100 from the top of the mouth set at .470 depth after seeing how easily they slide.
I get higher velocity with lower ES and cleaner burn with the side crimp.
I taper crimp at .474 after the side crimp.
Probably isn't needed for most but I like knowing the bullet isn't going to move.

Did you notice any change in accuracy?
Bmt85

Return to Reloading for the 450b