Modded crimp die vs Lee factory crimp die

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Modded crimp die vs Lee factory crimp die

Postby Gutpile » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:05 pm

Just got my Lee 450. 4 die set. So will I still need a modded crimp die? I wonder ?
Gutpile

Re: Modded crimp die vs Lee factory crimp die

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:39 pm

Gutpile wrote:Just got my Lee 450. 4 die set. So will I still need a modded crimp die? I wonder ?

Depends upon whether you want to do side (stab) crimps on your reloads. The caliber works without one, so its not a necessity. It can be useful at times. My experience with it and I have 4 of them fixed at different depths, has been that accuracy suffers a little bit compared to the less invasive taper crimp. It also leaves permanent scars on the inside of your brass that don't totally iron out. If you re-crimp the next load on the same scar, it should perform as well as the previous use. If you move that stab crimp up and down the case, depending upon which bullet you're using, you need to sort your brass so that you reuse ones with the same scar location and severity or your neck tension will have variations. You can feel it through the press handle when you seat your bullets.

The FCD that comes with the Lee die set imparts an FCD much like the myriad of other caliber ones that they sell do. Wider than is optimal for a stab crimp and right at the mouth. If you like the stab crimp created by a modded die, you'll still need one. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Gutpile » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:48 am

I guess using 250 FTX and near factory load duplications I will not need one. Is it truly required on the 225FTX or the Barnes?. I will be using starline brass
I was considering 250 grain non mag XTP to plink with
Gutpile

Postby Hoot » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:38 am

Gutpile wrote:I guess using 250 FTX and near factory load duplications I will not need one. Is it truly required on the 225FTX or the Barnes?. I will be using starline brass
I was considering 250 grain non mag XTP to plink with

Any bullet with a cannelure, IE the 200 and 225FTX and the XTP Mag bullets will secure very well when the taper crimp is driven down into that cannelure. Likewise the Barnes 200 ad 275 XPB/TSX, though in those cases, you are taper crimping down into a driving band groove. They actually hold on better than a cannelure due to the sharpness of the corner where the groove transitions to a band. I've never used the non-Mag XTP bullets, so I don't know if they have a cannelure.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Gutpile » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:39 am

I wonder, if one reduces the height of a shellholder. And
Makes the grooves in the collet slots wider would one accomplish the side Crimp with the Lee FCD in 450?
????? Then use crimp and seat die in separate operations so the mouth is .474. Then crimp below that?
It would fireform then using a Sharpe to index the cases on subsequent loads to the collet
Reinventing the wheel with out cutting the die
Gutpile

Postby Hoot » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:44 am

Gutpile wrote:I wonder, if one reduces the height of a shellholder. And
Makes the grooves in the collet slots wider would one accomplish the side Crimp with the Lee FCD in 450?
????? Then use crimp and seat die in separate operations so the mouth is .474. Then crimp below that?
It would fireform then using a Sharpe to index the cases on subsequent loads to the collet
Reinventing the wheel with out cutting the die

Sorry to say, you're gonna have to cut on something. I recommend buying a 460 S&W Lee FCD and following the Modding thread in the sticky part of this sub-forum. Midway has them for $13.00 and occasionally on sale for $9.99.

Reference This Thread from back in December. On page 2 there is an image explaining the need to thin the bite width of the collet. The factory default is too wide for getting the ridge to propagate through the case into the bullet without producing an hour glass distortion to both.

Hoot
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b