Hornady question, reply.

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Hornady question, reply.

Postby skinner 2 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:59 pm

I asked Hornady about Terminol Velocity for the .452 dia.
300 gr. XTP. And using it for the 450 bushmaster. They replied;

300 XTP 800-1700
300 XTP Mag 1200-2200

Then they informed me they only recommend the 240, 300 gr. XTP Mag and the 250 gr. FTX for the 450 Bushmaster.

The latter part surprised me.

Skinner
skinner 2

Re: Hornady question, reply.

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:35 am

jackets are way thicker on the mag and that FTX.
Al in Mi

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:49 am

It has been brought up a few times here. You might run into pressure issues with the regular XTP's
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:27 am

For those of you who don't read the "Stickied" threads in this subforum, there's one I did 8 years back, comparing the 200, 225 and 250 FTX bullet composition Link Here.

Here's a side cutaway view of the 3 from that highly illustrated thread in the above link:

The 225 was the thinnest of them and no surprise as it is designed to perform in the 45 LC. Still, there isn't a lot of visible difference in wall thickness in the 3. I honestly don't understand why Hornady doesn't recommend the 200 FTX. I kinda get not recommending the 225. Of course, not recommending doesn't necessarily mean "Advising Against". Jeez, I wish the 250 FTX had a cannelure right where the seating depth yields a COL of say 2.26. Been singing that song for a long time. :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby skinner 2 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:55 pm

Hoot I had read that post. I just didnt realize Hornady didnt recommend them for the bushmaster.

From what Ive been reading tbe guys are loading all tbe FTXs and Xtp Mags.

There sure is a lot of reading to be done on this cartridge.
skinner 2

Postby Hoot » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:00 pm

Don't know why the image didn't show up. It did in the post review. Not that it matters as it and many others do show up, at least ofr me, in the linked thread. This image hosting crap is driving me crazy. Between changing ISP's a few years back and people uploading bloated sized images to previously free host sites, driving them to charge money for all the storage space they had to add, its enough to discourage highly documented threads. I maxed out my ISP storage a long time ago. Then it was google image and microsoft one drive, they make open sharing like jumping through hoops. At least postimage.org is still a simple dashboard with open links but damn! I don't want to move a bazillion images again. :cry:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:12 am

Hoot wrote: Jeez, I wish the 250 FTX had a cannelure right where the seating depth yields a COL of say 2.26. Been singing that song for a long time. :roll:

Hoot

i recall being on the phone with the hornady tech support line and i had asked why they dont cannelure more of their bullets. they said its because for some reason most reloaders prefer bullets without them. which is weird because they make cannelured bullets for some ammo and dont sell those same bullets as a reloading component.
plant_one

Return to Reloading for the 450b