Duplicating factory hornady with Lil' gun

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Duplicating factory hornady with Lil' gun

Postby Gutpile » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:13 am

Trying to duplicate factory 250 FTX loads with Lil' gun
Gutpile

Re: Duplicating factory hornady with Lil' gun

Postby Hoot » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:57 am

Back in the days of the old formula for Lil Gun, the notes on the target were pretty much the gold standard.

38gr Lil Gun
Rem 7 1/2
Seat to 2.26 COL
Taper crimp to .476 at the mouth
~2200-2225 fps out of a 20" Bushmaster AR upper depending on ambient temperature.

With the new Lil Gun formulation, it could be as low as 36gr and work up from there. I think Hornady went with 296/H110 powder, possibly a commercial formula like W297. At least that's what a pulled down commercial round seemed to look like.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Gutpile » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:26 am

Load data with the Lee die set has powders listed I have not seen much reference on this board.
Gutpile

Postby Hoot » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:38 am

Gutpile wrote:Load data with the Lee die set has powders listed I have not seen much reference on this board.

The Load Database was not supported from early on. I suspect this may have been an Admin decision based upon liability concerns. Lots of contributors, some of which are more adventurous than others. Think of a newbie grabbing someone's over the top recipe and running with it because they wanted max velocity right out of the chute. :roll: So, unfortunately, its more like panning for gold, through this sub-forum. Google's forum search, as explained in a thread in my Information Depository sub forum, is great for that.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b