Brass preference

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Brass preference

Postby 303hunter » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:46 pm

I’ve got a couple boxes of Hornady 250 FTX to get me started in 450, but I’m a die hard reloader. What brand brass is preferred? I pretty much see Hornady and Starline brass for sale and wonder which is preferred.
303hunter
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:23 pm
Location: Fayetteville, N.C.

Re: Brass preference

Postby Firehunter » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:13 pm

I"ve had good luck with Hornady. Gunbroker sometimes has some good deals on once fired brass.
Firehunter
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:50 am
Location: N.W. Ohio

Re: Brass preference

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:42 am

Starline and Hornady about the best picks. I've used Hornady since day 1, no complaints.
Al in Mi
 
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:24 am

Re: Brass preference

Postby Hoot » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:52 am

They're both good. My experience has been that Starlines are a little harder which allows them to make them a little thinner walled. Holding a little more water. Very few powder bullet combinations run out of case capacity before pressure signs begin to show, so capacity has never been a driver for me. I doubt many reloaders of this caliber bother to anneal their cases as they harden from repeated resizing, which if done properly, allows the mouths to experience less springback when crimping. Being harder to start out, the Starline benefit the most from annealing. The Hornady less so. Either one would be a good choice. I'm glad Starline came along as the competition has helped keep Hornady from price gouging

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
User avatar
Hoot
 
Posts: 4114
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Brass preference

Postby 303hunter » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:33 pm

Found some once fired Hornady brass at Midsouth Shooters Supply for $46 per 100, and have some on the way.
303hunter
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:23 pm
Location: Fayetteville, N.C.

Re: Brass preference

Postby Hoot » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:54 pm

303hunter wrote:Found some once fired Hornady brass at Midsouth Shooters Supply for $46 per 100, and have some on the way.


You did good. Not uncommon to find it for $.50 a piece shipped here. If you feel the need to trim them, wait until after the 3rd firing. They're done changing length for the most part by then. I've got over 2.5k reloads behind me over 8 years and have never trimmed a case, so don't feel compelled to. Not like bottle neck cartridges. I do cull ones shorter than 2.675 (after resizing) however.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
User avatar
Hoot
 
Posts: 4114
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Brass preference

Postby 303hunter » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:26 pm

Brass arrived and looks good. It’s mostly Hornady, but there are a few Starline, Remington, and Winchester cases mixed in. Should I cull these, or load them like the Hornady? I load a lot of 6.8 SPC, and different brands of cases shoot differently.
303hunter
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:23 pm
Location: Fayetteville, N.C.

Re: Brass preference

Postby Hoot » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:42 pm

303hunter wrote:Brass arrived and looks good. It’s mostly Hornady, but there are a few Starline, Remington, and Winchester cases mixed in. Should I cull these, or load them like the Hornady? I load a lot of 6.8 SPC, and different brands of cases shoot differently.


I would keep like cases together myself. Chances are good that they have different capacities which will manifest in different velocities. Actually, it might make for a good range report. Same everything, just different cases in groups of 5. I'm assuming you have a chrony? I could send you 20) 225 FTX as seed.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
User avatar
Hoot
 
Posts: 4114
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Brass preference

Postby 303hunter » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:50 am

Hoot wrote:
303hunter wrote:Brass arrived and looks good. It’s mostly Hornady, but there are a few Starline, Remington, and Winchester cases mixed in. Should I cull these, or load them like the Hornady? I load a lot of 6.8 SPC, and different brands of cases shoot differently.


I would keep like cases together myself. Chances are good that they have different capacities which will manifest in different velocities. Actually, it might make for a good range report. Same everything, just different cases in groups of 5. I'm assuming you have a chrony? I could send you 20) 225 FTX as seed.

Hoot

Yes, I have a Magnetospeed Sporter. Just got a couple boxes of 225 FTX's also, so I'll try those cases for comparison.
303hunter
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:23 pm
Location: Fayetteville, N.C.


Return to Reloading for the 450b

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests