Hang fires

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Hang fires

Postby Swamp Rat » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:02 pm

I was sighting in my Bushmaster pistol this past weekend and on 3 or 4 occasions there would be a second delay before the round would go off. Rounds were loaded using WSR primers, thoughts on moving up to CCI 450 primers?
Swamp Rat

Re: Hang fires

Postby Hoot » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:37 am

Welcome Aboard!

I've seen more hangfires in this caliber that were attributable to insufficient neck tension, than primer choice. The strength of the primer detonation blows the bullet and the charge column out of the case and its not until the bullet jams up against the throat and stops it's forward travel that the charge column finally cooks off. There are however, exceptions to every rule. Just my observations. The real problem is when the powder column still doesn't ignite and you have an awful mess to clean out of your action and trigger groups, usually on the firing line, where its least convenient. Seen that too.

Its one of the reasons we don't recommend plated jackets like Berry's and Rainier bullets. The neck tension relies upon the bullet resisting being squeezed down, to develop tension. In the case of the paper thin plated copper jacket, it just crushes back into the soft lead center and doesn't spring back, yielding insufficient next tension. By insufficient, I mean for the burn speed of the powders that we use for conventional cup and core jacketed bullets in this caliber.

WSR primers are definitely up for the task. I rate them second only to the Rem 7 1/2 in this caliber and would never think twice about using them.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:49 pm

what powder and bullet were you using?
Al in Mi

Postby Swamp Rat » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:23 pm

39G H110 and 240G XTP, this thing has give me fits every since I I started loading for it. Neck tension has been an issue or should I say bullet jump, especially with 4227 and while using 230gfmj. I worry about crimping to much more and having headspace issues.
Swamp Rat

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:50 pm

Try skipping the expanding die, see if that gives you more neck tension.
Al in Mi

Return to Reloading for the 450b