1st crimping with 450 bushmaster cast bullets need help...

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: 1st crimping with 450 bushmaster cast bullets need help.

Postby c_franklin50 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:46 am

any report yet good or bad? I have the 255gr mold i plan to try out myself but i am waiting to get my gun back from the smith, having it properly fitted to the boyds stock i am eager to hear about your results.
c_franklin50

Postby Tripplebeards » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:43 pm

No, haven't had any range time since I loaded them and it's been too hot the last two weeks. I plan on the middle of next week if all goes well. By that time my bullets will have been casted for a month so they should be hardened. I bought a lee tester and the powder coated cast bullets test at 15 BNH two days ago. The water quenched unpainted bullets we're at 33. I found out Iowa passed the 450 bushmaster for gun deer season this year!
Tripplebeards

Postby Tripplebeards » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:41 pm

Been to the range twice now with it. My best group at a 100 yards the first trip was 1.25" with 35.5g of h110.

My second trip I tried the same powder and load above with the same Lee 310 cast bullet but I air cooled the bullet this time instead of water quenching to see if a softer bullet would improve grouping. I also lengthened the OAL to 2.055" so when I taper crimped the case mouth folded into the lower crimp groove on my bullet. I shot a 1.190" group with the air cooled load which is my smallest group with cast to date. I'm going to change powders next week and try lil gun. We will see if I can get under an inch.

I never had any pressure signs all the way up to my top load of 40g of h110.
Tripplebeards

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:26 am

those big ole flat noses feeding from the mag ok I take?
Al in Mi

Postby Tripplebeards » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:03 am

Yes, at 2.055" or shorter, any longer and they jam. Taper crimp at .474" only. If I taper crimp and then slightly roll crimp afterwards(per hornadys recommendation) they'll will jam as well.
Tripplebeards

Postby Tripplebeards » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:02 pm

Its been some time but ran my 35.5 grain load across my chrony today. 2075, 2072, 2060, and 2035fps. I did get some fliers every once in a while and they turned out about a 100 FPS slower. Could this be from a not so perfect crimp? I trim all my cases every time and set my Hornady crimp die and crimp them all the same.

My fastest clocked FPS of the da6 with this load was 2109fps. I did notice I had a lot that were about a 100 FPS slower then I realized my chrony wasn’t straight so I evened it out a little and shot 2060, 2072, and the last one 2109 FPS.

I have had two optics come loose on me so far. Two different scopes, two different rings. I removed everything today and found one of the rear factory picatinny base screws finger loose.
Tripplebeards

Postby c_franklin50 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:46 pm

so it sounds like you got your velocity problem figured out with you chronograph other wise try a hotter primer I only use cci mags so im not sure how the rem7.5 compares but when I talked to hodgdon they said "h110 is hard to ignite and a hot/mag primer is a must". As an example in my 10mm with 180gr bullets I was getting 1375fps with 1480fps showing once in a while I thought it was a bad reading but wanted to try mag primers to test my theory my powder (power pistol) wasn't igniting the same every time. When I worked my load back up to the same charge I had very consistent velocity at 1475fps with no pressure signs.

Back to your load if you can direct message me your h2o case capacity, and exact loading info I can plug your load into quickloads and give you its numbers as to where it predicts you are at. with the numbers I used you are bellow max sammi pressure but the velocity is also lower than what you stated which tells me the h2o number I used is off for your gun.
c_franklin50

Postby Tripplebeards » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:56 pm

c_franklin50 wrote:so it sounds like you got your velocity problem figured out with you chronograph other wise try a hotter primer I only use cci mags so im not sure how the rem7.5 compares but when I talked to hodgdon they said "h110 is hard to ignite and a hot/mag primer is a must". As an example in my 10mm with 180gr bullets I was getting 1375fps with 1480fps showing once in a while I thought it was a bad reading but wanted to try mag primers to test my theory my powder (power pistol) wasn't igniting the same every time. When I worked my load back up to the same charge I had very consistent velocity at 1475fps with no pressure signs.

Back to your load if you can direct message me your h2o case capacity, and exact loading info I can plug your load into quickloads and give you its numbers as to where it predicts you are at. with the numbers I used you are bellow max sammi pressure but the velocity is also lower than what you stated which tells me the h2o number I used is off for your gun.

Is there a small rifle primer brisance chart anywhere I can compair today’s primers with? Sounds like the rem 71/2 is hotter than any CCI. The only other chart I saw said federal 205 primers were hotter than the Remingtons. I sent the rifle back into Ruger today for repair. The trigger assembly rattles From side to side like a babies rattle when the bolt is removed from the action. It’s like the trigger housing holes are hogged out and the trigger housing is too narrow compared to the action. It just doesn’t seem safe and looks like if I pushed on it the complete trigger assembly would snap off. I told them it rattled 2 optics, the action screws, the scope base, and action screws loose. They have already sent me a magazine since the factory one was dropping out every three shots. I’m wondering if the V blocks used to bed my stock are loose? I’m sure it will come back with a new trigger assembly at a minimum. I believe the loose screw in the scope base was probably the culprit causing vibrations but figured I’d have them check it over.

I pulled one of bullets today that I crimped to .474”. The powder coating was removed where the case lip crimped into my bullet. I’m wondering if .474” is too tight of a crimp since it cuts into the bullet?
Tripplebeards

Postby Hoot » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:22 am

Have you already looked at the thread in my Information Depository?
Unfortunately, Germán didn't test the CCI 450 but the Rem 7 1/2 is head over heels above the Fed 205.
Germán Salazar Link

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby c_franklin50 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:00 am

Hoot only the 3rd link works the one that give dimensions the other two put in a circle with wayback webs or something like that
c_franklin50

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b