Case Lube

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Case Lube

Postby Smithjdsr » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:13 pm

I could NOT be happier. I did one drum of picked-up .44 ACP brass and the second drum of my 450B once-fired casings. They are beautiful! Even the insides and the primer pockets.

Thank you Hoot!! Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some bullets that need to be stuffed into some brass... :)
John

“Remember; No matter where you go, there you are.” -Buckaroo Banzai
Smithjdsr

Postby Hoot » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:37 pm

Smithjdsr wrote:I could NOT be happier. I did one drum of picked-up .44 ACP brass and the second drum of my 450B once-fired casings. They are beautiful! Even the insides and the primer pockets.

http://i67.tinypic.com/or5esx.jpg

Thank you Hoot!! Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some bullets that need to be stuffed into some brass... :)

Another Addict added to the damned. :twisted: Once I make my quota, I get my soul back.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:04 pm

CJP1 wrote:plant_one,
I'm also a One Shot user. I have been spraying my brass while in loading blocks. I really like your way of spraying in plastic box. I'll have to give it a try. It will also keep my loading blocks from getting gunked up.

i hope it works as well for you as they do for me. and like you said.. if they get all gunked up - or if you dont like how it works - its only 98 cents to replace one

also a ziplock bag can work, but i find its harder to lube inside the necks using that method. with the plastic shoebox most of them stand case mouth up for you when you shake them.

hth
plant_one

Postby Blackedout12v » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:44 pm

plant_one wrote:
CJP1 wrote:plant_one,
I'm also a One Shot user. I have been spraying my brass while in loading blocks. I really like your way of spraying in plastic box. I'll have to give it a try. It will also keep my loading blocks from getting gunked up.

i hope it works as well for you as they do for me. and like you said.. if they get all gunked up - or if you dont like how it works - its only 98 cents to replace one

also a ziplock bag can work, but i find its harder to lube inside the necks using that method. with the plastic shoebox most of them stand case mouth up for you when you shake them.

hth
I use one shot, and with the 450bm I started turning the case upside down when I spray (on a piece of wood )so no lube gets inside the necks( only case I do this with), as I was fighting neck tension problems. Seems to work ok as my groups are still good and my bullets arent moving now, done a couple other things at the same time so maybe this doesn't do anything but it hasn't seemed to hurt anything either. Thought I would share that..
Blackedout12v

Postby Smithjdsr » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:00 pm

I. Hit.The. Jackpot. I went to help Mom and Dad shovel and put away some Christmas stuff. When we were done, Dad said, “Come down to the shop for a minute I want to show you something. You have my press, do you want this stuff?”

-cough- -sputter- “Do I WANT it?!?” ... and LOTS of brass he’d been saving for me. Honestly, I don’t need the .30-30 or .300 Win Mag dies, but those can easily be converted into a few bucks or wait until I decide to try them out.
John

Smithjdsr

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:13 pm

A sure sign that the addiction has taken hold of your life is when you have dies for calibers you don't even own. :lol: Ask me how I know this and I'll show you the Lyman 35 Rem dies in my drawer that I couldn't pass up for $5.00 at a garage sale. Until very recently, I also didn't have a 7.62x39 rifle to go with the RCBS die set I also scored at the same garage sale for the same $5.00 That die set came with a bag of 50) boxer primed, 1-fired brass for an extra $1.00. I bought an AR Stoner 7.62x39 upper on sale at Midway a few months ago for no better reason than to justify having the dies and brass. :roll:

It was either this or coin collecting. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Smithjdsr » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:39 pm

...then my wife said, “I just have one question? Why do they need to be shiny? They’re very shiny, why do they need to be shiny? Do the deer know the difference?” (She’s Canadian. I apologize for her behavior a lot.)

But I do have one question;

Why did just one case turn orange inside?
John

Smithjdsr

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:13 pm

Smithjdsr wrote:...then my wife said, “I just have one question? Why do they need to be shiny? They’re very shiny, why do they need to be shiny? Do the deer know the difference?” (She’s Canadian. I apologize for her behavior a lot.)

But I do have one question;

http://i67.tinypic.com/imus20.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/5a585c.jpg

Why did just one case turn orange inside?

I see nothing but 450b cases on the towel but did you tumble them separate from the other cases? I could imagine some kind of galvanic reaction if some other, smaller caliber case, spent the entire cycle stuck inside your orange case. If you tumbled them mixed, did one of the smaller caliber cases come out looking odd? Any steel Russian cases in the batch? Obviously something leeched the zinc out of the brass. Grasping at straws for an explanation. Hey, you're the chemist, why you asking us anyway? ;)

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Smithjdsr » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:29 pm

Slightly different brass alloy, perhaps? I used a pinch of powdered citric acid this time but I think I like the LemiShine better. The citric was fine on the re-sized and re-tumbled, but I think the LemiShine was brighter on the tarnished first time brass. Oh, well. Maybe the deer won’t know the difference.
John

Smithjdsr

Postby Bmt85 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:10 am

My guess is slightly different alloy and too much citric acid then it liked. I’ll run batches of pistol brass once in a while, unsorted, and have that happen with some of it. I’ve found it’s either I put too much lemi shine in or run it for too long, for what that brass likes anyway. Just for reference, I run a Rebel 17, I only use a pinch of lemi shine and only run it for a 2-3 hrs. The Rebel 17 has a good size drum.
Bmt85

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b