How many loads per case?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

How many loads per case?

Postby 303hunter » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:19 pm

I’m loading Hornady 450 brass, and wondering how many loadings you’re getting per case?
303hunter

Re: How many loads per case?

Postby Hoot » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:08 pm

303hunter wrote:I’m loading Hornady 450 brass, and wondering how many loadings you’re getting per case?

In my AR based 450b, I toss them when the case head growth no longer allows them drop freely into my chamber, after resizing. Depending upon how hot you load them, that can happen in as little as two loadings or ten. Also, if they shrink in length to the point where after resizing, they're less than 1.685 long, they get tossed. That seems to be more dependent upon how tight or loose your chamber is and yes, they do vary from one to the next. They shorten quicker in more roomy chambers. I saw them drop .010 in as few as one loading from my old, roomy barrel. That barrel went to a new home. Unfortunately, roomy chambers offer the best likelihood for reliable insertion and extraction cycling.

That's been my experience over the past 8 1/2 years. I have no idea how that changes using a bolt action or single shot but I suspect its for the better.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby MOOSE EARS » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:57 am

I have not kept a count but I've been reloading 450BM since 2012 and have not trashed any of my original brass. You may not believe this and think I'm crazy or lying but it is true. I didn't realize it until I read this question and Hoot's response. I have loaded 225FTX and 230FMJ mainly with some 250FTX along the way. I've used LilGun solely and have loaded warm to hot loads. I can't explain why and did not realize this until now. I have 2 identical Bushmaster uppers bought from Midway. The first one bought in 2012 and the other in 2016. I have no idea how this is possible but it is. I have at least 10 or more loadings on these brass. I cycle thru a couple hundred before I reload so it takes a while to go thru them all. Some are pretty rough looking but still working fine.
MOOSE EARS

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:06 am

The ammo I have loaded for my 700 will be on their 6th firing, 5 of which are fairly hot loads. I have some from the AR plinking bucket that are probably over 8

I judge feel of seating primers as to when I toss a case, sometimes I'll have a slight split at the mouth and they get pitched.
Al in Mi

Postby Bmt85 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:17 pm

I've had a couple that case head growth made them unusable after the first go around. Had a few that lost primer pockets after 2-3 firings. Had a few drop too low on case length after a couple firings. Those were from trying new bullets and loads with no data available, and testing the limits. I typically have 3-4 on some hot loaded brass that's still holding up, have other brass for plinking that have 5 or so, no issues. That's out of a few AR's I have.
Bmt85

Postby KenMI » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:26 pm

Starline will hold up much longer, especially with hot loads.
KenMI

Postby 303hunter » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:32 pm

MOOSE EARS wrote:I have not kept a count but I've been reloading 450BM since 2012 and have not trashed any of my original brass. You may not believe this and think I'm crazy or lying but it is true. I didn't realize it until I read this question and Hoot's response. I have loaded 225FTX and 230FMJ mainly with some 250FTX along the way. I've used LilGun solely and have loaded warm to hot loads. I can't explain why and did not realize this until now. I have 2 identical Bushmaster uppers bought from Midway. The first one bought in 2012 and the other in 2016. I have no idea how this is possible but it is. I have at least 10 or more loadings on these brass. I cycle thru a couple hundred before I reload so it takes a while to go thru them all. Some are pretty rough looking but still working fine.

I’ve got some 357 magnum brass that’s got 12 loadings, so I know where you’re coming from. That’s the main reason for my question. 357 is the only straight walled case I’ve loaded for years, and I wondered if the 450 cases held up as well.
303hunter

Postby 303hunter » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:42 pm

KenMI wrote:Starline will hold up much longer, especially with hot loads.

How many loads do you get from Starline 450 brass? I’ve got a few pieces of Starline in some once fired 450 brass I bought, but haven’t loaded it yet.
303hunter

Return to Reloading for the 450b